"fire log" and uses for Birch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Out of curiosity, what is the second hole for? I'm assuming that the bottom of the first hole will be blocked by the wax when you pour it in. I suspect I'm missing something, so that tutorial sounds a great idea!

Well, you don't clog it completely with wax. More a thick coating on the walls. Basically you want to get the log bunring in a controlled manner. The second hole keeps the air flowing once the stuff burns inside.

I think that you could just make a more slow buring candle without sthe second hole, just clogging it as you said. More experiments to do :)

-Emile

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The best uses for birch as far as I have found are;

Tops: besom brooms and hurdles (horse jumping).
Long straight trunks: 6" dia or smaller can be cleaved into 4 or 8 down the length. Check quality. Straight with no twist makes good longbows. Any with a twist, trim roundish and make yurt khana (walls). Shorter straight pieces can make milking stool legs or other rustic furniture.
Burls: Cut these out and keep for bowls, knife scales etc.
Branches: Look out for interesting bends that'll make good spoons and set aside.
All the rest: Chainsaw up and make charcoal. That includes all the non usable twisted or gnarled bits, all the waste and anything that can't be made into something 'value added'.

The advantage of making charcoal is the saving in weight. It sells for four times as much as firewood given the same amount of raw material. It's easy to do and a great way of clearing up felled timber. You can also mix other hardwoods with the birch for charcoal. You don't need a metal kiln (about £700) to start with, a couple of 55gal oil drums will do just as well. Another advantage in charcoal is you don't need to season the wood as long. Typically a year for firewood (ash being the exception) but you can have a charcoal burn of birch in just a month or two after cutting. I've even known burners use it green just to get them started.

Eric

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
to be honest I've not had a chance to do anything for the last couple of weeks, I've been sick as a dog :(

We were burning birch in the fireplace and it would burn even when not completely seasoned, but it needed help from something a bit better (I had some cherry to burn with it). Since I've been sick I've not been able to go and get the firewood in, so we have had to wear an extra jumper to watch telly or hide in the electrically heated bedroom. :(

hopefully I'll be better soon and will be able to give it a try.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE