"fire log" and uses for Birch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've been trying to think of useful things to do with the mountain of birch that I've been felling recently and one thing that came to mind was a type of fire-log I have seen in the past.

Trouble is, I can't remmeber what it's called or if there is anything special about it's construction?! :bluThinki

From what I remember, it's a log of birch (?) stood on end with a cross sawn into the top third (or more?). A fire is lit with a single match and the log will gradually burn down, the fire lasting ages. I think it can be used for cooking on at the same time?

Does anybody know what I'm on about here? :confused: If so, could you tell me what I'm missing and how I can make them? :D

Also, what do people here do with birch wood (other than carve bowls and spoons ;) )? I know it burns well and the bark can be used for all sorts, but what else?

thanks

Dave

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I believe that you use a pine for tha sort of fire as the resin in the wood keeps the fire burning well. Saying that, it could probably work with any type of wood. Can't remember the name myself, but it can be made with a chainsaw or manual saw by cutting, as you say a deep cross into the end grain. Then the grooves are stuffed with tinder to get the log burning, the log being stood on end and it keeps the fire off of the ground so no dampness from the ground to inhibit the fire.

You can also split the log into four and drive the sections into the ground with a small gap to achieve the same thing.

When I cleared a sand dune system of invading birch, we used the brush wood for sweeping brooms, fire brooms and kids witches brooms (all sold locally) as well as being made into faggots for horse jumps, the bigger wood was made into charcoal on site using a metal charcoal burner (horrible job!) and obviously there was firewood, kindling all bagged for garages.

What I would love to have done but didn't would have been to experiment to make birch tar. :rolleyes:

WS

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
What you need is dead standing pine where the bark has fallen off and the tree is all grey. It will smell of terpentine, it´s also good for a long log fire.

Birch is a good wood to burn, it´s gives good light and nice good embers to cook over or why not make some spoons out of it.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Thanks for the link there! :) I tried searching for it earlier, but I didn't know what to call it and failed to find anything :rolleyes:

I'll give it a go with a variety of woods this winter and let folk know ;) Most of the wood that I have around my woods is either rotten or green, though there are some dead standings that need seeing to this winter (safety issues). I have a feeling that the ones that are for sale have a more effective kindlnig with them though? I'm pretty sure they have a wick of sorts that is impregnated with somehting to get the thing to catch more easily. Any ideas?

One of the reasons for me wanting to find uses for the birch is becuase the woods hae got to suppliment my income and while I can think of lots of commercial yet small scale uses for most woods, the only things I could think of for the birch were spoons and firewood! Firewood is uneconimical for me to produce and I am NOT carving the three dozen mature birch trees into spoons on my own!:sigh: :togo: :D

I do fancy having a go at the birch tar though, but i can't find details on production (I need to learn how to search more effectively :eek: )

thanks for the help guys :)

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
I was looking for birch tar production the other day after watching an older RM DVD. He said that we don't know how it used to be done as he'd done it by modern methods. But from what I could see it was a Russian area production done by dry distillation - which makes me wonder if it would work the same as for pine tar, again as demonstrated by RM as I recall.

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
Google 'mushroom inoculation kit' or 'growing mushrooms'.
It might be a good idea to sell mushrooms to local resturants, but it might be a good idea to give them a ring and see species that are intrested in first.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Some common uses for Birch ...

Great timber for veneer and furniture making - how`s your joinery skills

The short fibre pulp makes good sustainable paper

Flavouring and leather oil - used in cosmetics such as soap and shampoo

Beating yourself after a sauna

Leaves to make a diuretic tea and dyes

Birching - corporal punshment

Good tonal qualities can be used for guitar amps and speaker cabinets - now there`s a thought !!

A few ideas for you to think about

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
roll a good size squared sheet of birch bark to make a "torch" apprently meant to last about 8 minutes, Or Bark armour!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've been thinking about the mushroom logs as a potential source of grub, but I see no reason why I couldn't try and sell some to the locals ;) good thought there :)

I don't think the trees are of the type or standard to be making tiles and armour, though if anybody wants to come around and see how well it deflects arrows... :O

I'm goings to give the birch brisstle bessom brooms a go at some stage, though I'm thinking that the several acres of younger birch plantation will get put to that use ;) I rather like the idea of selling birch CP instruments to people though:twak: :red: hee hee

I've seen lots of furniture made form birch (lots of it as plywood though), but I don't think my joinery is that good :( I guess I'll see how it goes as stools and the like in due course. I did come across a very good description of making wooden ladders in one of my old books. It says that the best woods to use are deal or birch and that ideally the rungs (or steps if a step ladder) should be made of birch. Supprised me as I thought ash would be better for thouse bits, but apparently birch is as strong as oak! carves more easily I know that!

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
I have a feeling that the ones that are for sale have a more effective kindlnig with them though? I'm pretty sure they have a wick of sorts that is impregnated with somehting to get the thing to catch more easily. Any ideas?

I've seen pine firelogs for sale that had the cross cut down 3/4 of the log and a circular hole down the center with a candle like a tea light in the bottom to help it along.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I think the mushrooms might be your best bet as the time you would have to put in woulkd be minimal , so better returns on the investment . This place might help Mushy kits . I have no link with them etc.

On the other hand , you could run a "bring your own spoon knife " type moot !:lmao:

Pumbaa

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
saw the big log into some smaller blocks, drill a large diameter hole from the top 2/3 into it. Then near the bottom (where you ended the hole) drill a hole at a 90 degree angle so that the drill holes connect.

Pour molten paraffine (tea candles) into it. Stuff leftover from sheath waxing might do :) Use some natural rope material for a wick, f.e. rope made out of stinging nettle.

Setups like these sell for a lot of money at garden shops with fancy names such as Siberian candles. They are made in both Pine and Birch. The parraffine will aid in the log keeping burning, substituting for the resin that is found in the saturated blocks.

Maybe I should do a tutorial on these, It is a nice project.
-Emile

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Out of curiosity, what is the second hole for? I'm assuming that the bottom of the first hole will be blocked by the wax when you pour it in. I suspect I'm missing something, so that tutorial sounds a great idea!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE