fire blanket used as a heat shield for stove flue

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swingerek

Sep 23, 2011
eastkilbride
Hi all,
does anyone know if I could use a fire blanket as a heat shield on my wood burning stove ?
I want to use one on my flue to shield the top of my tipi where the flue exits, cheers..

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
that's what I plan to do with my new stove, just gotta get round to it

I'll start with two or three layers and see how hot it gets. If its too hot I'll add an air gap between layers and probably some aluminium tape on the inside for good measure too

This is for a TI goat wifi stove with 8 foot flue. After it had been burning for half a hour I could still touch near the top of the flue for a couple of seconds so I reckon three layers of fire blanket might just do it

Oh, it will mainly be used in a nylon laavu (bergans) without a stove jack

swingerek

Sep 23, 2011
eastkilbride
Howdy sunndog, I bought a 1m x1m blanket and I plan to fold it in half then wrap it around the flue and attach it with pieces of wire .my flueis about the same length as your, i will using it in my luxe mega horn ll .gonae need to do a burn test with it on to check heat transfer.will post results when I get them.cheers

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yeah pretty much the same set up then. if you wrap the whole blanket around your flue it will be a good few layers, I cant imagine it getting too hot
But as you say, a burn test is a must

let us know how you get on

swingerek

Sep 23, 2011
eastkilbride
I gave the stove a goog burn , over 4_5 hours with only one blanket and found the heat sometimes a bit warm for my liking, added another blanket around the existing one and it worked alot better.this set up works for me at the moment as there doesnt seem to be any deteration to the inside face of the blanket.remember all stoves and the fuel being used will differ so dont take this as gospel

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
thanks for the update, Sounds spot on mate

I'll start off with two layers then and add a third if need be
Funnily enough I did get round to buying a blanket the day before yesterday

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE