Finnish Vihe Loue II Shelter , Its a tarp dude but not as we know it ,,,,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
After looking at these on line then having a look at Phils ( Decorum ) I decided to have one ,

A Finnish Vihe Loue II Shelter based on a traditional Finnish woodsmans shelter for use in the woods

Weight one kilo without pegs or poles and a bottle of Max to give it some scale , it would pack smaller but its in a nice loose bag making packing very easy just stuff it in :),

014-2.jpg

As it was my first erection it was all a bit of trial and error , open the bag tie the main cord up high on a tree and walk backwards ,

015-2.jpg

Then start pegging , you can use it without poles as now but poles would be handy not a problem in Finland were thay have a few trees to close from ,

017-2.jpg

025-1.jpg

loads of nice touchs , badge , hanging loops , snow valance ,

020-2.jpg

022-2.jpg

The main attraction to me is its made to have a fire in front of it and with a reflector it will bounce the heat into the shelter with the silver reflective coating cooking you like a chicken ,,, yeeerrr :cool:

023-1.jpg

I have changed the guylines and added line-loks but thats it.

Couple of other add ons , UCO candle lanten with refectors banging all the light onto the silver coating ,

019-2.jpg

Also a Wayland inspired water catcher ,

016-2.jpg

Plus fire ,,,, I will need to mount a reflector behind this ,

028-1.jpg

When its packed up it will go in this pouche that I have mounted on my pack as its first up and last away with no problem if its wet :)

013-2.jpg

Im very happy with it and looking forward to using it,

Heres the link in Finland if your after one ,

http://www.scandinavianoutdoorstore.com/en/teltat-ja-majoittuminen/laavut-ja-louteet/loue-ii/

Twodogs

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been looking at these for ages, had one in my basket a few times.

And then the Bergans Lavvo came along and confused matters.

Thanks for sharing the pics, it's good to see some decent close ups of these at last

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think it looks smaller in Cliffs pics because he's got it hung low down, unless the one on the website is a bigger version?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Good move Cliff :cool: .

I think it looks smaller in Cliffs pics because he's got it hung low down, unless the one on the website is a bigger version?

That pic's very misleading ~ to the point where I had to use a lot of logic to work out that they hadn't sent the I in error :yikes: . I'd um'd and ah'd about whether to go with the two person Loue I for a good while ~ and I'm very glad I spent the extra tenner* and went with the II :D .

* IIRC that was the price difference for a bit of extra width and the side wall :D .

Nice one Cliff. Will it be at Damian's? :)

Seeing it set up with Phil's one would be good.

Unfortunately real life's got in the way (again :( ) and I can no longer make it :eek: . Might be a worthwhile experiment though ~ just make sure I can take the zee machine first though.

Cliff please stop tempting me to buy things! looks a good bit of kit...

:evilangel: ...

it's good to see some decent close ups of these at last

I'm not too good at remembering to take pics :eek: , but ...

Using a tree as front pole and with sticks to make full use of the skirt ...

With two guyed poles and without sticks lifting the skirt ~ but housing a US Army cot (Bit of a funky effect on the pic :sad6: )
Glitter ball is an homage to Twang Twang who left us for a new journey.

423199_172230962898388_1418651794_n.jpg

Suspended from a ridge line and dropped on its skirt.

I'll be using it in an open field _quite soon_ and I will endeavour to remember to add a couple of pics ;) .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
You and dec are going to get me in trouble, Ive put off buying the Loue I several times http://www.scandinavianoutdoorstore.com/en/teltat-ja-majoittuminen/laavut-ja-louteet/Loue-i/.

:sad6: :evilangel: :rofl:

If you do succumb spend the extra for the II. The I and II have, roughly, the same dimensions and that 40cm skirt really makes a difference in usable space.

>>> I fancy using Marti's plans for a polycotton one, one day, <<<

Martti's post was what caused my pay or make pause too :D . In the end cold hard logic won out ~ because I _know_ I'd have messed it up :eek: . Mind you, having now experienced one, I'm not ruling out making a bespoke version :D .

If anyone missed Martti's post with the pattern it's post #71 of his excellent thread entitled 'Finnish Bushcraft' ~ he's provided a link to the thread in post #09 of this thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE