Finding the "inverted plantpottery candle heater"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
If you got a tipi and a Indian hole at top why whats wrong with a open wood fire like the indians did it all the time i thought this was bushcraft.

If you got a tipi and a Indian hole at top why whats wrong with a open wood fire like the indians did it all the time I thought this was bushcraft.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"

]Bushcraft for everyone is different!

The thing with a nylon tippi is sparks...
hence you shouldn't really use an open fire at all inside this type of nylon tipii. Yes the indians and sammi and many other cultures use them however these are all with relatively spark proof materials.

My point is that you can have an enclosed home made fire box/contraption in a nylon tipii, as your tipi has natural ventilation via vents in the bottom and vented cap, promoting a through flow of air without the need for a flue (Yup I know stoves have a flue !;) ). The issue here is sparks and my idea is of using a modified candle heater design over a charcoal bucket. When I've used the charcoal in my tipi it's generally been in an old bbq or pot, with a modified cover but not sealed. You burn the charcoal outside until most of the smoke dies down them transfer the whole lot inside to keep the chill off during the night. This works extremely well and I used it extensively last winter (aswell as using a meths heater through the winter) however I like the idea of the clay pots radiating heat and will try and modify something up.

I think there is a possibility of designing a stove/heater/oven all in one using a silmilar design but with coals instead of a candle and bigger clay pots...:) [/FONT]

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have one of those nylon tipis ( the more lightweight the kit the better as far as I'm concerned) and that was really why I played around with the terracotta candle thingie. I don't want sparks, and I want something easily and cheaply re-fueled and that will go out if there's a mishap. This seems to be ideal.
Apparantly there is a bigger version available too. Now all I need to do is to find my recipes for plant pot bread making :rolleyes: :D

cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
You don't need to buy expensive candles for these things. The cardboard and wax in a tin type of survival candle will do just the same job. Three cheapo plant pots from the garden centre, a bolt, bag of nuts and a bag of washers from B&Q, something for the plant pots to stand on (a couple of bricks, stones or sections of log will do it) and a hobo candle and you're all set.

For the flower pot bread oven,

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

The pot is sitting on a paving slab. Build a fire inside, when the pot starts to glow, rake out the coals and put the bread in. Place a piece of pot across the door, also block the drainage hole in the lid.

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
ah that's a posh one Eric, :cool:
mine's just a plant pot scrubbed and floured and the dough is put inside and a plantpot saucer put over the top and the whole thing buried in hot ashes. It's easier than baking bread in a billy.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE