Filling a Camelbak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
I can't seem to fill a Camelback all the way to the top. Since the opening is on the side, it's impossible. Do the capacities listed with the bladders take this into consideration?

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Hi Chris

Mine all have markers on the side showing 0.5l increments. The 2l fill mark is about 3 inches or so below the filler on my bladders.

Give it a look and double check mate :)

Cheers
Sack

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Ah yes, so it does! mines a camelback unbottle, so I never really look at the bladder.Though the scale on mine only goes up to 1.5 Doesn't look like it would quite get all the way up to 2 litres before you get to the filler. I guess I will have to measure the amount of water I can put in it.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Unbottle used to have a plastic handle that you held just below the bottom of the opening. Hold that and the large opening goes horizontal and you fill right up to the rim then screw the opening down. Or at least that is what I did and got plenty in. TRouble is the opening used to cross thread really badly and eventually failed to hold the liquid in so it got binned for my source which is my preferred baldder make (cheaper and better than anything else not made source that is).

BTW there is a Kendal based company that makes a kind of handle for those large opening camelbacks. It is kind of an attachment to the lid to make it easier to open and close. Seemed like one of those superfluous gizmos that don't make sense but you know you might as well get one anyway as its a shiny metallic gizmo for your wasted gear collection.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Was gonna say you could just hold the rim of the filler cap? never had any issues with filling camelbaks to the top? or platybag's do you find that the little bit you can't fill is really missed though?

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
I do usually hold the black handle, but even doing that it's impossible to completely fill without laying sideways. I will try it with a jug though and see what I can do. I really just wanted to know whether the capacity listed was the entire bladder or if it was slightly over to allow for the awkward filling.

I don't really want to buy a source bladder for a sake of a few more ml, what's the sense in that? I'm perfectly happy with my Camelbak otherwise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE