Few days in the woods testing "Stupidly simple midge"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup all,

Lucky enough to get some time out in the woods last weekend so it was time to try out the "Stupidly Simple midge repellent" Which I will refer to as SSMR for ease of typing :eek:

The name of my play woods translated from Welsh is "Wet woods" so combine that with the heat and its a great recipe for bugs of all flavours. Midge, mozzie, tiger mozzie and horse flies are a plenty.

So the SSMR, well I am actually pretty fond of the smell and the application is pretty easy going. There were 4 of us in total using the SSMR and we all re-applied after a few hours simply because of the heat and sweating.

The verdict was very good indeed. I cam away with only two bites in 3 days, one through the shirt which cant be helped and one in-between my knuckles :censored: where i must have missed a spot. The other lads were very similar only a couple of bites and mainly through the clothing. Elevenses of this forum did the shooting rounds a few times where the midge are very prevalent and only managed a bite on the eye lid poor bloke.

So in short a very positive outcome considering that we were all in short sleeves and in a wet woodland for three days/two nights.

Some pictures of the weekend.

unpacked the car and suddenly it all started looking a bit heavy for the 2 mile trip. I had also taken more water than usual fearing the springs would all be dry. All my tools for working on the second bow also did not help matters.

IMAG2754_zpsb91e6fef.jpg

Arrived at site very hot and bothered. Got to it and setup.

IMAG2805_zps61350e5a.jpg

IMAG2792_zps14f590e3.jpg

I was made up to find that the springs were cold and plentiful. ;) Perfect for storing cold beer and keep the food cool over the weekend. Also great for soaking your hat to keep your head cool. Infact I did this pretty much on the hour all day.

IMAG2810_zpsb9c7abf9.jpg

Time to get the fire going to keep the bugs down and make a brew. I had forgotten just how easy it was to light a fire in this weather, couple of quick feather sticks and in two minutes fire.

IMAG2801_zps78cd0515.jpg

Time to zero the rifles before a wonder.

IMAG2818_zpsea43addb.jpg

IMAG2819_zps4a12f075.jpg

A friend brought along a new machete which had the typical rubbish factory edge on it so it was put on the manual bench grinder and tidied up with stones.

IMAG2839_zps93972504.jpg

Time for some lunch so pizza was on the menu. Topped with mozzarella, serano ham, peppers, tomms and choritzio. We pretty much ate our own body weight in pizza that night.

IMAG2848_zpsa0ef3e8e.jpg

IMAG2849_zps5c4d8889.jpg

Wish i had my proper camera at the time but the sap coming from this cut spruce stump was glowing as it weaped out.

IMAG2853_zps352a3708.jpg

I had taken a second bow with me that was mid tiller. I kind of rushed the silk backing the previous night so i had to re-glue a few areas. Problem was no brush so we knocked up a "woods brush" horse hair found in the field and a split bit of elder :)

IMAG2821_zpsc80844a0.jpg

You can see the half finished bow in this shot.

IMAG2800_zps9b340022.jpg

So a nice weekend out and a thumbs up for the SSMR and I will be buying more.

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks like a good time was had by all Master Bowyer thank you for taking us along

;) maybe one day, give me another 10 years and I will be getting there.
That reminds me, found a slow-mo thing on my phone ;)

Click the picture below for the video.

Last edited:

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Gutted I missed this mate. I got eaten alive up on the Kirkstone Pass. Forgot to pack the SSMR didnt I and no fires were allowed on the camp site. Doh.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE