Few axe questions mainly about estwings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Try a wood handled axe , you will be shocked how different they feel, the wood has life to it while the steel shaft feels a little dead, try it and you will see what I am talking about.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Robs not wrong about the totally different feel. Especially on a cold day! Also with a wooden (or even fibreglass) handle you have the facility to hold the axe near the head for more control when carving

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Estwings are good tools, no doubt that axe would work well. Most folk here will be using wood handled axes but that is mostly based on aesthetic choice and following what everyone else uses. If you like the look of an Estwing it will do all you need and do it well.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
if your old estwing has done such a grand job over the years why bother getting a new one??

you could always go super light and get a tomahawk ;)

DSCF3816.jpg

(that's a cold steel trail hawk if you're curious ;) )

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Just hang onto the 14" one - it makes up for it's light weight in not having an eye to be opened out by braying with a log/boot/rock etc, you can make them ridiculously sharp very easily and the light weight makes them ideal pack axes. You already know how to use it well and safely given the 20 years you've been using it... why mess with what works?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I use a wee Estwing....was my joiner brother's roughing out axe. It's just utterly reliable. Suits me fine and is no burden to carry. Very valid points from the other posts though.
Don't know about the bigger Estwings, I haven't used any of them.

Get along to a Meet somewhere and folks will happily let you try out, and discuss, their axes :)

cheers,
M

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I've only ever had Estwing hammers but if their axes are half as good then you should not have a problem with it.
Personally I like my GB axes as I prefer the feel of wood but horses for courses mate.There's a lot to be said for
using tools that you are familiar with.
Cheers , Simon

Estwings are good tools, no doubt that axe would work well. Most folk here will be using wood handled axes but that is mostly based on aesthetic choice and following what everyone else uses. If you like the look of an Estwing it will do all you need and do it well.

It's not I like the look of it I've had mine for 21 years since a month before I started my joiners apprentice ship
I'm no longer on the tools but still keep my estwing and use it regularly
Might not some folks choice
But the used it for roofing
Fencing,gardening,camping,drunkenly opening beer bottles
Boat making and more

It's a good price of kit and ill never replace it

I was wondering about its fibre glass big brother
As I need proper axe rather than a hatchet

Long live my hatchet

The small estwing axe

Try it and be converted ;)

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
If your a joiner why dontyou get an old head from ebay and make your own handle, surelythatwould be a good wee fun project and you could get a nice bit of wood to do it with!

I have estwing hammers and the wee axe, I cant see me ever having to replace them!

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
Eastwings are a nice axe and you'll have a great axe. They are built like tanks and I don't find them heavy. I perfer a Gransfor Bruks Forest Axe but almost got the Eastwing I think it will do everything you want it to do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE