Ferro rod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 28, 2020
Lake District
Hi all wanting to get my kids into the basics of Bushcraft and gunna show and let them have a bash at lighting a fire on the beach. I have a massive ferro rod I use with my esee 5 but was after recommendation for a decent one or 2 that I can let the kids have when practicing. Not bought one in years as mine has lasted well

Thanks

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I find the Light My Fire ones good, they're about 8 or 9mm diameter and fairly soft so you can throw good sparks. I don't go a lot of these large rods that a lot of people have now as the ones I've used are quite hard so they don't work very well with the technique I use. They're also quite heavy. I'd stay away from the cheap ones as they can also be a hard compound too which makes using them more difficult for people who haven't used them before. Also what I've found when working with kids is that the striker is really important. I like to give them one which they can hold in their hand rather than between the fingers. Hope this is of some help.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
They pay attention the best when they are really hungry and cooking a snag over a fire is crucial. Teach them well to prepare heaps of tinder and piles of fire supplies. After the strike is the wrong time to find fire wood.

Stone14

Aug 3, 2022
Northumberland
Hi all wanting to get my kids into the basics of Bushcraft and gunna show and let them have a bash at lighting a fire on the beach. I have a massive ferro rod I use with my esee 5 but was after recommendation for a decent one or 2 that I can let the kids have when practicing. Not bought one in years as mine has lasted well

Thanks
The 'Light my fire Scout' is ideal for kids imo. It's a very soft rod so sparks very easily. The Scout version has upto 3000 strikes in it, the Army version has more but is of the same softness.
541a320289d182bfbfc28847ec57767a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE