Ferro rod size

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Sorting through the misc junk that collects on my desk around my laptop I found that I have 4 ferro rods, in 2 different sizes. Which I use at any given time generally seems to be based on which was nearest when I'm heading out the door. But this got me thinking. What size ferro rod do you use?

I've got 2 each of ¼" x 3" & 8mm x 80mm.

Is a longer ferro rod easier to use? does the diameter of have any effect other than the number of times you can strike it?

Cheers

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The only difference is the size. They both work in exactly the same way.

Lots of different sizes, look here, http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-ferrocerium-rods.html

Actually not quite, based on how easy they are to strike, I'm reasonably sure I have 2 different compounds of ferrocium here, meaning that they strike slightly differently to each other. *BUT*. That wasn't the question I was asking.

And yes I know there are lots of sizes out there, a truly bewildering selection. But why would you choose one size over another?

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
It could also be your striker.

What could be? I'm fairly sure that the 4 ferro rods on my desk are ferro rods, not strikers. I have a super alloy striker, and comparing the two side by side, they aren't similar.

I use an 8mm x 80mm, simply because that what fits the loop on my carrier. A good striker is also needed. Have a look here. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136224

Yep, a good striker is, this is why I have a super alloy striker, and ground the spine of my peasant so that it gives good strikes...

Does the choice of striker govern your choice of size?

J

leon-1

What could be? I'm fairly sure that the 4 ferro rods on my desk are ferro rods, not strikers. I have a super alloy striker, and comparing the two side by side, they aren't similar.

Yep, a good striker is, this is why I have a super alloy striker, and ground the spine of my peasant so that it gives good strikes...

Does the choice of striker govern your choice of size?

J

Striker and sizes of rods.

The size of the rod does make a difference. The larger the diameter of the rod the greater surface area providing a larger amount of sparks.

Strikers also make a difference, I like you, use a super striker, but the spine on an F1 works well as does the back of the saw blade on a leatherman or even the spine of my opinel saw, but that's just because they are hard and very square to the point of almost being sharp.

I have also bought ferro rods for companies and in the same box I have had two different results from strikers from the same batch with one compound seeming to be slightly harder than another.

I have used ferro rods from half inch down to 2mm, the only thing that changes for me is technique or method of using the steel and the tinders I use (it's easier with some tinders / fuels when you are using a smaller firesteel).

Post Tenebras Lux

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2015
Cambridgeshire
If it's a harder compound then I think it's definitely easier to use because it's more forgiving and gives you a good chance(given the distance to travel) that you'll get sparks.

If it's a softer compound, say, something like a Light My Fire, shorter is more than fine because you can use tiny motions to make sparks.

Personally I prefer harder compound and longer.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
You can get sparks from a ferro rod rod using glass, as long as it has a sharp edge to it. Just be careful with the glass in case it breaks in your grasp or shatters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE