Ferro rod, Knife & feather stick fire lighting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, i was out today and the recent inclement weather we have had, ie lots of snow, got me thinking whilst out in the woods, that there was a serious lack of combustable materials, to be had,as they were buried under 8 inches of snow. So i found a dead Spruce log, which i split down, and turned into feather sticks. But i had no matches or lighter to hand, so i used my ferro rod to ignite the sticks instead. I did find that it took some perseverance, it is achievable, but what i found was that your last shaved curls, must be the tiniest and finest, to achieve ignition.

Anyway here my attempts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOYsWnn6SGw

Thanks for looking.

Cheers Stuart.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Stu,

I noticed that you use the back of the blade of the knife near the tip. I've always been told to use the firesteel near the handle. Is there a reason that you do it this way, or is this just your personal preference?

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Stu,

I noticed that you use the back of the blade of the knife near the tip. I've always been told to use the firesteel near the handle. Is there a reason that you do it this way, or is this just your personal preference?

Hi alpha-c, yeah it is my preference as i feel i have more control of the Ferro rod, also i feel that it concentrates the sparks into one area, for the less flammable tinders, rather than just showering them all over your tinder in the hope they ignite.

Thanks for taking the time to check out the video.

Cheers Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE