Felted Wool Sweaters?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
My Google Fu does not seem to be working well on this so I thought I would try here.

I have seen a type of sweater, Scandinavian by the look of them, that appear to be felted much like dachstein mitts.

They most often turn up in documentaries about climbing of Polar travel but I can never spot a logo or label.

I don't know if these are commercially available or home made but I bet someone here knows about them.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Based upon your description, I immeadiately thought of Shewies link.

The best Wool sweater Ive found for the money, is in fact a cardigan.

Clothing_Cardigan_Austrian_A_D.JPG

Its the dachstein austrian mountain troop cardigan, and Kev at Endys had a few in, for about £30. Quite rare.

Supergrade/ like new.

Fantastic value. Very heavy, warm and well made. If it wasnt surplus it'd have a £300 price tag on it.

its better than any commercial offering.

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i can't find these on the Endicotts site, do you have a link ?

Based upon your description, I immeadiately thought of Shewies link.

The best Wool sweater Ive found for the money, is in fact a cardigan.

View attachment 23692

Its the dachstein austrian mountain troop cardigan, and Kev at Endys had a few in, for about £30. Quite rare.

Supergrade/ like new.

Fantastic value. Very heavy, warm and well made. If it wasnt surplus it'd have a £300 price tag on it.

its better than any commercial offering.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
i can't find these on the Endicotts site, do you have a link ?

You would have to call him at the shop Robbi. He hasnt advertised them. I bought mine a while back and love it.
If he's not there, you should ask the fella who answers the phone for his emailaddress and send him a request.

Go big on size.

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Well... I hope I do understand correctly.
I actually do have a felted woolen jumper, sweater what ever it's called.
It used to be a genuine wool sweater, but the wool felted during washing at some point I guess. Bought it like that about a year ago and it is quit warm (as in almost unwearable warm indoors).
So maybe they are just homemade wool sweaters and felted the old way, by rubbing them?

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
C Da C is well connected with Endicots, send him a PM he'll no doubt know what's in stock and what's not.

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/componen...e-cat-nearly-naked-endys-2493-detail?Itemid=0

Thanks for that link you git!! Lol!

Give Kev a ring mate, he may have some on a 'needs to know' basis.
He knows you Gary, and would help if he could I am sure.

As an aside, I sold mine, loved it but it was too heavy and thick ( sounds odd for a wool lover, but I guess you can have too much of a good thing! )

Best.

Chris.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I picked up a devold nansen jumper recently. Very impressed with the warmth and quality

That looks like just the thing I have seen.

nansen1550.jpg

Did you get it from a UK supplier?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
There's also Dale of Norway sometimes they come up on ebay cheap. Cant get much more scandi than that.

Last edited:

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Commission a knitted sweater from granny or old aunt in several sizes too big, then wash and tumble dry it to shrink to fit. Not a particularly exact science but generally speaking a woolen garment drops a couple of sizes when shrunk in this way, so XL becomes M, M becomes an XS.

I know this because it's happened to me a few times, each time when I've given the inadvertently shrunken sweater to someone it'll fit it always becomes thee garment in that persons wardrobe.

DIYing it that way, you get control of pretty much every aspect of the process, except the actual shrinking. I rather fancy someone with a knitting machine could produce a quality wool garment several sizes too big at an affordable price. It's something I'm considering.

That said, some good links in this thread and much food for though. A company in the US are knocking a few up again, the link took and age to load but worth persevering with;

http://www.bradleyalpinist.com/cart...dex&cPath=42&zenid=2itims71h1dkbtefnfmol37u50

Here's the general page;

http://www.bradleyalpinist.com/dachstein.html

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE