felt cloak / traditional Georgian wool coat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
this is what my ancestors were wearing , most of shepherds still wear it and people on weddings and such things wear it.
I have it at home but Icant wear it anywhere
this vid shows how its made.

[video=youtube;qHMyGsWpUXA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHMyGsWpUXA[/video]

5f07e7182614.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good to see :)

We make felt like that too, and we 'walk' tartan and tweed by hand that way as well to full the cloth.

Folks think it's easy…..for the first two or three minutes.

I like threads like this, ones that show people actually making :D

Thank you for sharing.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Uhuh :) but that's real boiled wool, real felted just about bullet proof wool. It's warm, it's windproof, it not only sheds the rain but doesn't soak it in easily either.

From Georgia to North Africa (look at traditional Tunisian ones) to the Basques to the Mongolian yurts and gets….same type of work, same processes and really good felt at the end.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's such a good film; what a great set of skills those people have and what a great cloak to produce. Serious weather protection there and fabulous to look at, I noticed the big loop handles inside for to hold it closed up against the body. I can imagine that being extremely comfortable after it moulds to the wearer.

Great post, thank you.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Shepherds and just people used to sleep in those cloaks at night , they had something to sleep on and something to cover with at the same time .
Once me and my father were hunting in the mountains and we had to sleep in those , it was a rainy night and in the morning my fathers friend who was with us saw that the cloak which he has been sleeping was all rotten and was covered with somekind of worms , that was a fun thing for us to watch and very bad feeling for him :)

Dr Toerag

Apr 9, 2015
Birmingham
I've slept in the rain in a normal woven woolen cloak once. I got woken in the night by a frog dropping on me from the tree I was sheltering under. Lovely and dry and warm even so, except for the frogface.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
At about 13:40 in the video they are shaking something over the cloak; what is it?

It's done again near the end and I think it is just water.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Thanks for that.

This is a pic of the Hungarian equivalent, again made of felted wool...

suba.jpg

...sometimes with fleece atop that.

It can get cold on the plains. :)

For those who liked Gcckoka's photo in this threads first post, some similar garments feature in the photography of Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii, who photographed much of what was then Tsarist Russia between 1907 and 1912.

Last edited:

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia

Here is my nabadi, i'll be making a video of an overnight with it hope one day soon, just like the old timers :)

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Theres a Khantsi!

Some months back I was playing with the Museum of Plastics horn collection, but I dont remember one of those.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Theres a Khantsi!

Some months back I was playing with the Museum of Plastics horn collection, but I dont remember one of those.

yep that's a kantsi , 800-900 gram of wine goes in , my father drank it when I was born and I drink it on some very very special days only :)

Trotsky

I saw this thread when it was new but, I've only just had chance to watch the video. I found it absolutely enthralling watching them make the cloak, I also loved the simple ingenuity of the self closing gate. This of course leaves only one question, where might someone like me buy one of these cloaks? Normally I'm all for making everything I can myself but, I'm confident this is beyond me so if I could I'd rather give my business to someone like the women in the video. A black Nabadi would keep me snug through any winter the UK is ever likely to see!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE