Fear of the dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
imagin when we didnt have shelters or fire and the local wild life was a bit bigger and hungry Thats where i recon it comes from Primal instincts ?

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Having read most of this post, not the really scary bits mind, I am about to aclimatise my self back into wild camping next week, I will keep you posted as to how it goes, but I know after a day hauling my rather excessive load of bushcraft gear, I will either be too tired or too annoyed to put up with this world or the next.

D

DarkHorse

Strangest thing I ever encountered was a flying saucer,
me and 2 friends stood about 60 foot away from this thing - I could of thrown a stone at it.

It was about the size of coach but a circular craft with red and yellow port hole type glowing lights all around the bottom section.

It was pretty much silent and was just hovering there above some trees. As we watched it, it traveled along some distance then descended at which point it went out of our view. We did sorta approach a little to see more but everyone decided it was best to just go the other direction.

It doesn't stop me from going out and camping alone at night though I do sometimes think about it when laid there on my own. :)

I once encountered what people call "orbs" as well. They have a long history and used to be called will'o'whisps etc. What I saw was basically a glowing ball about the size of a football that floated along and then disappeared.

These types of things are pretty rare though so I wouldn't worry about them. Theres one thing for certain though we really know very little about the universe around us. Its nice to "believe" these things don't exist. It gives us security and comfort to think we have it all figured out and know what does or doesn't exist but I can tell you people are experiencing the unexplained and I know for sure its not just stories or imagination.

As to how real they are, how real is anything? We could be in the matrix for all I truly know! What are these things and where do they come from, well thats for you to decide or not. I prefer to just stay open and observe because thats all i can do - I'm not here to judge things. :)

thats enough of my philosophy and experiences anyway... take care all!

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
What a great thread! It's nice to see everyone being so supportive and honest.

I too was seriously afraid of the dark, up to the age of 18. Then I just got angry, because it was stopping me camping out solo. So decided I just had to do it. I picked a place on Dartmoor where I could camp at a nice spot, but only a couple of hundred yards from the car, so I could give up and go home if I couldn't bear it. It was a bad night, but a great feeling in the morning, and I haven't looked back. As others have said, experience and familiarity brings confidence.

I spent the last two years living in a caravan in a wood, and was often on my own overnight. I still never watch horror films, and I found that a certain level of preparedness for real dangers built my confidence too. Just simple things like having our grid-ref in my phone so I could easily give it to the police if someone came to rob our sawmill, and knowing exactly what route I would take to retreat unseen out of the wood at night to get to a phone signal. Also thinking carefully about any sort of weapon to hand - mainly because the adrenalin can make you reach for something which could actually only make things worse in most situations. I've seen it happen at a festival once, and that was a good lesson.

Only once did someone come into our camp at night who wasn't supposed to be there. It scared the hell out of me, but because I had previously thought through carefully what I would do in such an event, I was able to control the adrenaline and act appropriately. In the end, I scared the hell out him when I appeared, and I was able to dominate and control the situation.

I still get the heeby-jeebies occasionally, but now that I know the animals and recognise the noises, I love the night. To use Roger Deakin's phrase, the 'wilding quality of darkness' can add much to the experience of nature.

Power

May 28, 2012
UK
Just starting my prep work for a long distance solo hike across the Southdown’s, getting into the right mind set to get out and wild camp, totally different feeling to camping with mates or on a site, but once used to the new settings around you can find a good inner peace and a nice time to chill and reflect. plus a nice fire is always a good start to ur temporary home.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Dunno if there is going to be much to see. Due to the rain and the location of the area with the river running almost 270 degrees around it, for most of the year it has been under running water. But we shall see...

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Dunno if there is going to be much to see. Due to the rain and the location of the area with the river running almost 270 degrees around it, for most of the year it has been under running water. But we shall see...

Hope he moved out for the "summer", you don't want to find a bloated Stashio corpse...

...or do you?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Sorry guys, the place is a quagmire. Marshy, wet and muddy. Been nothing to see here since April. Except water and mud. Mostly water. The whole place is flooded.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE