Fear of the dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I recall a very poor night's sleep under the stars at the Devil's Puchbowl. It was the first time I had bivouaced without a tent. I remembered that Shakespeare wrote in "Midsummer Night's Dream" "How oft a bush becomes a bear". But I was still scared. Many years later in the Rockies a bear did invade my campsite- I rolled over and pretended it was a bush. It was a nasty moment in the morning when fresh bear tracks showed it wasn't a dream! I think this is a good thread with many helpful contributions: the fear is to be expected and allowed for, it is how one deals with the fear that is important.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Wow

Have you done something to alter the picture as I see a girl with long brown hair appear fade out and reappear as on a loop. She appears in th right hand window if its a wind up you got me fooled.

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
It's funny that someone should mention the Dyatlov pass incident. Years ago I made it a personal mission to read as much as I could on the event and the information is surprisingly complete. We obviously still do not know why they ran out into the open in such a hurry (personally I think it was fear of an avalanche) but the deaths all have fairly simple explanations.

Broken and crushed bones due to falling down a ravine and being buried in 4m of snow. A fractured skull from a fall after climbing a tree in an attempt to sight the campsite. A partially missing tongue from an opportunistic scavenger. All explained in detail in the report filed after the investigation.

Whether UFO, yeti, super secret secret military missile tests or other unknown forces, the injuries sustained by members of the party are not all that inexplicable, however eerie they might seem. It's the circumstance that lead to said injuries that really frighten me. If it had been one person running out of their tent like that it wouldn't seem AS strange but an entire group of experienced skiers... Scary stuff.

LoveBeavers

Mar 19, 2012
Athens, Greece
Nightfall always brings these kind of feelings to all creatures. Sometimes you can feel that even in an urban environment, let alone being alone in the woods. But these are part of our hunting instincts. All animals in the wild, sleep with their one eye open, or hunt during the night with the same exact feelings.
You can conquer these fears, through experience and use of logic. Its just how it is, and through time, fear becomes nothing more than heightened senses.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
So, I've just spent 6 odd hours reading 31 pages of posts (bar pages 5-9 which very nearly ruined the thread), and we're still no closer to seeing any more pics of the workings or better still actual pics of JonathanD's stashdude, or the conviction or utter battering of Bushscout's stalker? 31 pages guys, I 'need' to know more! :(

Afraid I've got no scary tales to tell, have travelled all over the UK several times exploring the various places that the Security Guard members here are protecting, mostly at night, often alone, and nada, zip, bugger all! Abandoned Mental Asylums, old Hospitals, Morgues, Derelict Castles/Estates, Underground Bunkers and Tunnels, Sewers & Drains you name it, no creepy goings on. :( (Just like to say a quick Hi to the aformentioned guards, hey we both have a job to do, you get paid for yours) :D

Well, this has been 'the' most interesting and captivating thread I've read in many years, now unfortunately having caught up I've got to wait like everyone else for the next installments and for more stories of the mysterious & unusual. It's been a great evening, so thankyou to all the contributors for an excellent read and some cool pics. :D

Si

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
It was this thread that made me join the forum so I could subscribe to it!

I can see why, if I hadn't already joined a couple of days ago I would have as soon as I found this lol.

It's a bit like seeing a really cool series on TV then going and buying season 1, watching it back to back and then as season 2 airs you have to wait a week between eps, it's a hell of a come down. :D

Could we get together some sort of petition to JDs bosses maybe to get him some time off? :D :D

Si

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I can see why, if I hadn't already joined a couple of days ago I would have as soon as I found this lol.

It's a bit like seeing a really cool series on TV then going and buying season 1, watching it back to back and then as season 2 airs you have to wait a week between eps, it's a hell of a come down. :D

Could we get together some sort of petition to JDs bosses maybe to get him some time off? :D :D

Si

Wont work, He seems to be one of those sucks ups that ENJOYS spending time them:p

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
:lmao:

Ah well twas worth a thought. ;) I've read this thread, read the 'ghost' or was it science vs religion thread, even found and watched The Hunted as mentioned earlier in this thread, good film I thought btw. I guess I'll just have to hibernate until someone sees somethin else spooky or Tom Brown Jr. ish... :D

Si

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
OK OK, I'll bow to peer pressure. I'll get up there in the next few days to a week. Maybe even tomorrow if Emm lets me.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
OK OK, I'll bow to peer pressure. I'll get up there in the next few days to a week. Maybe even tomorrow if Emm lets me.

I never bow to peer pressure & I'll threaten everyone with my Mora (that they made me buy) who says otherwise

Good news, anyway, looking forward to the update!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE