Fear of the dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikehas36

Jan 21, 2011
Ohio
No, I stumbed across this thread. I have a habit of reading forum threads regarding unexplained, strange, spooky things seen or experienced outdoors. There are many such threads out there, some with over 200 posts.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
After working evenings in a supposedly haunted, semi-closed hospital for the past 5 months, I have to say that my fear of the dark is subsiding quickly. I even find myself feeling quite safe and cosy in the dark sometimes. I have to say though that the old wards do un nerve me sometimes though, but I still push myself to go through them. I had to physically shove a colleague through one of the old wards a few months ago because she was so scared!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I remember reading years ago about the requirements for the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier here. Among other things listed, they also had to, "not mind working alone in a cemetary at night."

LuckyDucky

Forager
Dec 7, 2011
Hertfordshire
I for one have a love HATE relationship with the dark. Since a child i have been scared of it. I have got better. I remember as a kid having to sleep with the light on in my room and have my mum sit on my bed and hold my hand untill i fell asleep. Luckily that has changed but i still cant go into my dark garden on my own. I am quite fascinated about the dark. I love the way you can have quietness and then you can feel and hear nature all around you.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
After working evenings in a supposedly haunted, semi-closed hospital for the past 5 months, I have to say that my fear of the dark is subsiding quickly. I even find myself feeling quite safe and cosy in the dark sometimes. I have to say though that the old wards do un nerve me sometimes though, but I still push myself to go through them. I had to physically shove a colleague through one of the old wards a few months ago because she was so scared!

Not always the dark that gets you. I know of a chap who had a chat and some banter with an old colleague in the middle of Glasgow Airport in broad daylight while on the way to the Pilots lounge. Said fellow was far from the 'over imagination' type, being an ex R.N. Officer and accomplished Carrier Pilot. Anyways, the only oddity he noted was that his old colleague didn't shake his hand as per the norm.

Later that same day he read of his colleagues death some days before in the obituary column.

LuckyDucky

Forager
Dec 7, 2011
Hertfordshire
Not always the dark that gets you. I know of a chap who had a chat and some banter with an old colleague in the middle of Glasgow Airport in broad daylight while on the way to the Pilots lounge. Said fellow was far from the 'over imagination' type, being an ex R.N. Officer and accomplished Carrier Pilot. Anyways, the only oddity he noted was that his old colleague didn't shake his hand as per the norm.

Later that same day he read of his colleagues death some days before in the obituary column.

F that. That would scare the cr*p out of me. Surly that cant be true? (yes and dont call me shirly) :)

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
F that. That would scare the cr*p out of me. Surly that cant be true? (yes and dont call me shirly) :)

Very true. So much so, he even went on camera to talk about it for a program Discovery channel made. He is not a liar, hence, he has nothing to hide. He'd simply like an answer, as it baffles the living hell out of him.

Reminds me of something a medium type person told me once at a get together, namely that we ALL see ghosts, we just don't actually recognise them as such. I've always wondered if that was true.

LuckyDucky

Forager
Dec 7, 2011
Hertfordshire
Very true. So much so, he even went on camera to talk about it for a program Discovery channel made. He is not a liar, hence, he has nothing to hide. He'd simply like an answer, as it baffles the living hell out of him.

Reminds me of something a medium type person told me once at a get together, namely that we ALL see ghosts, we just don't actually recognise them as such. I've always wondered if that was true.

Well a good friend of my sisters had died suddenly (bike crash involving lorry) and a couple of weeks later she woke up in the middle of the night and he was in her room. She new he was dead but spoke to him and said hi matt dont worry about coming to see me late. I know that you had other people to visit. And he nodded and went and she then went back to sleep. She was comforted by this. As long as the "ghost was nice to me and said they were a ghost but dont be scared" i wouldnt mind talking to them.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Well a good friend of my sisters had died suddenly (bike crash involving lorry) and a couple of weeks later she woke up in the middle of the night and he was in her room. She new he was dead but spoke to him and said hi matt dont worry about coming to see me late. I know that you had other people to visit. And he nodded and went and she then went back to sleep. She was comforted by this. As long as the "ghost was nice to me and said they were a ghost but dont be scared" i wouldnt mind talking to them.

I think the key to this is that she was asleep. My wife has waking dreams, I've seen her sit bolt upright in bed trying to stop the ceiling from melting with her hands.
For about half a minute she's utterly convinced it's happening and I can talk to her about it during the experience..... then she "wakes up" and almost immediately goes back to sleep. Having experienced her terror first hand and her utter belief in what she thought was happening I am of the opinion that Ghosts are constructs of our imagination. But our imagination is a lot more powerful than anyone gives it credit for.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
These recent posts remind me of a story my wife told me.

Her grandad past away one night, she didn't know, she was a sleep and woke up to find her grandad sitting on the end of the bed. He told her it was alright but he had to go. Next day she rang her sister [in germany at the time] to find out her sister had had the same experience at roughly the same time. A little later that day her parents were told that the grandad had passed away in the early hours.

Now I don't know about ghosts because the grandad wasn't actually dead at the time of the 'visits' - but he was near it. Construction of imagination possibly as they were a close family and I know people get a feel for nearest n dearest. But whatever the explanation there's definatley SOMETHING going on...

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent

I'll believe it when I see it! I've been in x-ray and records underground at night, alone, numerous times and never seen or heard a sausage! Both places are supposed to be haunted and I didn't even so much as hear a fart down there!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My wife often hears unearthly noises at night. Strange gurgling sounds. She reckons it might be the ghost who haunts our kitchen and eats the ice-cream. She's never seen the ghost. What's most strange is that the noises disappear when I'm away - this ghost must be haunting me...

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
My wife often hears unearthly noises at night. Strange gurgling sounds. She reckons it might be the ghost who haunts our kitchen and eats the ice-cream. She's never seen the ghost. What's most strange is that the noises disappear when I'm away - this ghost must be haunting me...

I do hope this ghost tidies up after itself... Ghosts and ice-cream surely not a good mix??

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I'll believe it when I see it! I've been in x-ray and records underground at night, alone, numerous times and never seen or heard a sausage! Both places are supposed to be haunted and I didn't even so much as hear a fart down there!

FWIW Vulpes, I'm the same. I've been in places that would have that hysterical bint off Most Haunted running for the hills, and never had a bit of bother in them :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE