Favourite sea lure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
If you were to only take one or two lures with you or a trip to the beach what would they be? I've collected quite a few different types over the years and for the type of fishing I do I'm starting to think most will catch something, if the fish are about!

As the beaches near me are quite shallow I like to use something with a bit of weight. In the past I've not had any success with Dexter style wedges/flashers but recently I've had plenty of mackerel on them and the odd pollack. I even had the luck to watch a mackerel strike the wedge right under my feet while fishing from the rocks.

They're just a cheap set, 20g -30g, plain silver with some added holographic foil on the plain side and will be the first thing in the tackle box from now on.

redsalmon

Jun 12, 2010
divot
i've never had any luck with dexters, shame cos theyre nice and cheap and good casting.

i like to have a silver-blue toby with a bit of orange or red and a floating rapala blue and silver. guess i'm sticking with colors i like rather than what the fish like but as long as i believe they'll work they (usually) will work. yes, rapalas are costly, i can cry when i lose one, but they are fun.

Phil P

Oct 8, 2014
West Lothian
Abu Toby, Mepps Aglia No.6, Dexter Wedge and a "Flying C".

If the truth is known I take as many as I can and always too many, but hey, I'm a "Lure slut".

It really all depends on what you're targeting and the location. Everything from a small, £3 Mepps up to a £20 jap import may or may not catch.

Bear in mind that All lure manufacturers design lures, primarily to catch customers more than fish.

Stick to the ones I listed above (2 of each.....1 dark and 1 silver) and you shouldn't go far wrong. However, purely from a bushcraft perspective I prefer to use Flies as they can be carried with very little weight in ratio to variety.

Phil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE