Favourite kit of the year.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Is that the type with a slow turning whetstone 90 degrees to the other wheel?

Do you have a photo of the strop wheel? Sounds ideal

Not the best pictures but hopefully this explains it. I've moved the belt an extra 60 degrees (ish!) Down to give it a flatter plane to be able to work on too, and used the angle grinder to remove some of the safety junk metal that was in the way. Every time I use the strop I just use a little sand paper followed by a quick press of stropping compound.

20230102_103633.jpg20230102_103642.jpg

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
After moving into our new home march 2021 last year was put under tight money control after the summer when I realised just how much of my savings I had left. It scared me a bit how freely we'd spent on the house and a few other things. So I bought nothing for several months.

However first half of the year I bought a lightweight campmat ether light xl from the Australian firm Sea to summit. It was great for a cycle tour in n Scotland from Arran to Islay. Boring but useful purchase.

Most useful was gas canisters for our trangia conversion kit.

Favourite kit irrespective of purchase date was either a haglofs insulated jacket or a gilet from the same company. It was filled with their own version of primaloft. Former was bought on our first cycle tour from oban. First night camping in Oban before we set off was cold despite it being summer. So I bought it at the outdoor shop in Oban. It was a life saver that trip with the heavy rain and cold temperatures. The gilet was bought when the heating failed in the offices one very cold February. I bought the gilet to cope with close to zero temperatures inside! A colleague bought gloves at the same time I got my gilet. That gilet fits perfectly and gives a lot more warmth than you think it would. A great piece of kit.

Moving into the countryside is priceless!
especially after the imprisonment and stress of my previous workplace.... also realised it was beginning of last year that i got my new leatherman "surge"...
and while not exactly bushcrafty: christmas i bought a second-hand mountain bike from our local bike mechanic which i'm hoping to use on some local exploration trips as well :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hmm - favourite kit of the year ...
That would have to be my "Otzi rucksack" or my "Mesolithic shirt" ....DSCI0001.JPGDSCI0002.JPGDSCI0003.JPGDSCI0004.JPGDSCI0005.JPG
DSCF0004.JPGDSCF0005.JPG
Both made for me for work...but both are so comfortable that they get used even when not specifically for work!

Attachments

• DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    444.5 KB · Views: 3

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a shirt like that, no sleeves...might make another.

The bag is good; where is the plans? How do you bend the wood so much?

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
Do you know Dutch oven history?
The name comes from Deutsch
and the German immigrants in Pennsylvania including the Hessian mercenaries of our unfortunate family squabble. The first ones were imported from England.
This coppersmith named Paul Revere added the three legs and rimmed lid to contain upper coals
In the cowboy version.
The lid tool is called a gonch hook.
The Cocinaro or cookie would keep it warm and had a handy and hot weapon for any daring to violate his open kitchen.
A neat trick for untried recipes.
Get a flour Tortilla and line the bottom. It’s insurance against scorching until cooking times and coals are sorted out. You can just slice it free if burnt. If not, a delicious snack flavored with the meal
This is not totally correct. Dutch comes from the words "Dietsch and Duutsch", the languages spoken in the Netherlands, Belgium and a part of Germany. The Brittish started using the word "dutch".
The german word for German is Deutsch and Americans mixed Deutsch and Dutch up over time. If you need more fun examples, look up old street names of New York or the origin of the word "dollar".
Back to the dutch oven, they were made from brass in moulds of sand by the dutch and later a welshman invented how to make them of cast iron making them faster and cheaper to make.

Reactions: Rambo Rees

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE