Fastening a nav tool roll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gilly0802

Tenderfoot
So whilst studying for a sailing navigation course I made a tool roll to carry my nav tools (partly for convenience - mostly as a way of procrastinating instead of doing my homework...). Using some material found lying around and some sturdy thread the result can be seen below.

My question is this - should i add some method of fastening it? and if so what would people recommend (velcro? button? string?)

DaOp24Pb.jpg
dtAN1IKb.jpg

XNjYJOMb.jpg
x5vX5c6b.jpg

I also have a couple chunks of the material left over if anyone else has ideas for what else to try and make (note I don't have the widest selection of tools/materials with me currently...)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Since it's for sailing, how about some sort of button knot and loop whipped on the other side?

Even simpler might be to do a traditional hand-sewn eylet on one side and tie a leather thong around it.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For the time being, do nothing. Learn what it's like to roll & carry & unroll with 1 hand. Hibrion's nautical idea is excellent.
Can you add some sort of a grommet to hang it up out of the way, if you had to?
I keep my good wood carving gouges in denim cloth tool rolls. I used to have cords to tie those shut = nuisance in the end.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Something with a parrel bead? Davey (Chandlers) make ones out of ash. Though might be too large.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE