Fallen wood on government(presumably) property.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Our local ranger who works in the woodland (which will be removed for the HS2 line) locally has discovered something magical. He takes fallen branches, chops them into logs and stacks them neatly by the side of the main footpath. By morning they have completely gone... truly magical and he laughs about it regularly... so much so that we have decided that fairies must live in the wood and when said train line comes through, the passengers will be treated to a magical display of fairy poo on their carriage window :D

Magically disappearing logs... I suspect that happens in a lot of woodlands around these isles :p

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Nope not in Magna Carta see this article
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/oct/28/9

Different if you have local rights, for example my parents had rights of turbary on Dartmoor because of the smallholding that they owned. Never exercised the right though. Estover is the right to take underwood.

See also Grovely, All is Grovely" for local rights.
http://www.information-britain.co.uk/customdetail.php?id=47

On the other hand the right of locals to cut wood in Epping Forest was exstinguished by the Corporation of London who built the appropriately named Lopping Hall in exchange. But there was a long struggle.
http://www.loppinghall.btck.co.uk/

Willingale the hero
http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/..._The_Loughton_lopper_who_saved_Epping_Forest/

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
No, it is the Forest Charter and still doesn't confirm a general right of estover.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
No, it is the Forest Charter and still doesn't confirm a general right of estover.

Thats odd Boatman, because the link you provided says it does...

That link above that you provided said:
Every freeman shall at his own pleasure provide agistment [care and food for animals] for his woodland in the forest and have his pannage [collection of fallen fruit, nuts and wood]. We also grant that every freeman may freely and without interference drive his swine through our demesne [proprietary] woodland in order to agist them in his own woods or wherever else he pleases. And if the swine of any freeman spend one night in our forest, that shall not be made the excuse for taking anything of his away from him.

Unless of course the pannage given for the collection of wood means that every freeman can collect some other definition of wood?

Maybe the link you provided refers to Woodwards... so if you see an Edward Woodward in the wood, you can collect an Edward Woodward from the wood, but not wood from the wood without it being a Woodward? That would certainly seem logical.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Please ask permission first. We now encourage brash piles, fallen branches, wind blown trees to be left on site. If there is no health and safety risk to the general public. We have become accustomed to clinical environments and now find habitat values increase if we leave dead wood on site. If it is part of a management plan. You will not only be taking away wood from the site. If you have no permission to remove it, then please don't. There are lots of sustainable ways to acquire wood, branches, logs for personal projects. Please respect the countryside and those who manage it by sourcing materials legally.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
One link says that the Forest Charter is a clarification of Magna Carta although clarification is misleading because they deal with mostly different things. Still not the same document.

Note that the Freeman may exercise that right in his wood in the woodland, not cottars or anybody else.

Why the obsession that MC and the FC are the same?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Why the obsession that MC and the FC are the same?

Obsession? Erm... an idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes on a person's mind... I'd hardly call one mention of the 2 documents being connected an obsession. By the definition of obsession though, I am obsessed with the idea of looking up the actual facts.

The Forest Charter was written in 1217, 2 years after the Magna Carta as a companion document to the Magna Carta, redressing some applications of the Anglo-Norman Forest Law that had been extended and abused by William Rufus, the charter re-established rights of access to the royal forest for free men that had been eroded by the Conqueror and his heirs.

As I said, like a codicil to a last will and testament. The final will and testament is a legal document in its own right, but the codicil is a companion document that can be added to the will in order to clarify, alter or add points not mentioned in the original will. A codicil can, in effect, change the meaning inside a will, without making the will an irrelevant document. Just needs both documents in solemn form.

So... obsessed with the documents MC and FC themselves or their relation to each other? Nope. Obsessed with the indisputable facts of the matter? Nah... I'm busy packing the last bit of my kit so I can wander into the woods tomorrow and exercise my rights under the Forest Charter by running through the woods with a piece of bacon on a string! :D

But to be clear and concise... you're wrong.

Ta Daaaaaa :p

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Note that the Freeman may exercise that right in his wood in the woodland
Is it also true that very very few of UK residents are "Freeman" in the context of the document. While we may no longer be Villien, as I understand it, that does not make us a Freeman.
Not trying to fan a flame just that people say the magna carta gives us this and gives us that but it was never about "common" folk just landed gentry.

Post Tenebras Lux

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Just got off the phone with the reserve manager and he said as long as I was discrete he has no issues with collecting deadfall or anything attached to it(fungi and bark, etc).

He just said that as long as I'm not silly about it and everyone and their dog then turn up for firewood then he has no problems with it. They're felling some trees soon as well and he told me he'll text me the when and where with plenty of notice and I can basically fill my boots. Result!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh

We were passing one of the retail parks on the outskirts of Edinburgh and they had been clearing trees, lots left, so we went and asked if we could take a carload, and indeed it was! We did get approached by one guy, but he was checking how much was left as he was coming back with his car and saw as well...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE