F1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
laurens ch said:
Don't forget that the f1 has a small secondry bevel on top of the convex grind

IIRC, I think Jimb has an F1. I'm sure he probably spent some time reprofiling the edge. I recall him speaking highly of it. :)

Thanks Red for those comments. :)

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I couldnt agree with hoodo more. Scandi's are exellent for carving wood. Especially designed carving knives very rarelly have secondary bevels or are convexed. But they are often chisel ground or scandi.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Shinken said:
I couldnt agree with hoodo more. Scandi's are exellent for carving wood. Especially designed carving knives very rarelly have secondary bevels or are convexed. But they are often chisel ground or scandi.

But carving ain't the only thing to do with knives. Isn't convex a decent all rounder?

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
British Red said:
...Just sheer out and out "I know my Sh** and don't brag about it know how"...

Red

Hello Red,

Always a good character trait to have!

I've read much by Old Jimbo too, and like you, have respect for his opinions and knowledge. Although for some reason I find him a little scary <chuckle>

And thanks for putting me straight about Hoodoo and the Hone.

I'll take a look at that 'sticky', now that you’ve reminded me of it.

All the best,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
British Red said:
... Check out the Hoodoo hone on the £5 sharpening kit sticky...

I’ve read the ‘sticky’ you mentioned, and I’ve decided that “I’m not fit to touch the hem of your garment” <chuckle> My only excuse for not mentioning that ‘sticky’ in this thread is that I read so much of the Web I loose track of where I read what.

Very, very interesting stuff. I’m now inspired to move on from sharpening a blade to shave the hair off my arm, to sharpening a blade to shave hair off my beard. This probably hasn’t got much use ‘in the field’ but it surely would be fun to acquire the skill.

Best regards,
Paul.

My F1 is reprofiled at a much more acute angle and I'm still gradually honing... To be honest I put most of my efforts into the A1 which I made into a true Scandi grind, and the H1 which I also made into a true Scandi and which I mostly use. WM1 and F1 still need more work whenever I get to it - but they do work for thin fuzzies as they are now.

The big thing is the blades are made to military specifications and those people specify more for edge durability than woodworking potential. I haven't seen any edge robustness problems with my thinned versions and the VG10 is an excellent steel. Despite their thickness, the H1 and A1 reprofiled do an excellent job on wood - better than most would suspect. What things really come down to is that narrow blades work best for finer woodcarving, and everything else is a compromise.

In the final analysis for me - it comes down to always returning to lighter knives such as the Moras or Murphy's simply because I can string them around my neck. I prefer not to carry knives on my belt now. Maybe I took a long and circuitous route to find that out, but by trial and error I did. I'm sure that I could make up some sort of shoulder sheath, for heavier blades, but while I like "Tour of Duty" and "Exposure" I don't want to look like I've watched those shows too many times...

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
Cheers! I believe you're right Shinken! Now i just need to find somewhere that sells a ferule / spor to fit it :)

Steve

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Got my F1.
Its a laminate cos I can see a faint line tracing where the grind passes the join about 4mm from the edge?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE