Explosion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Has anybody else noticed the hugh population explosion in Buzzards over the last 5 years or is it just me?

Jack

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I've lived in South Wales for the past 13 years or so and was surprised by how common they are down here. Probably about as common as Kestrels by the motorway and present in large numbers in country areas, even seen them in towns and cities. You even see them in fields right by the M4, on the ground, where they're presumably feeding on earthworms.

My occassional jaunts across the border suggest you're right about England this past few years, see them often from the motorways.

Justin

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Round me its Red Kites, since being reintroduced their numbers have rocketed, I have heard that they are in the hundreds now locally.
Regards
Rich

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I saw a pair of SOMETHING this morning - just a quick glange out of the corner of my eye , a quick snap round of the head to look then I was past them - much larger than kestrels, maybe buzzards. This was on the A1198 just south of Huntingdon. They seemed to be standing over something, a dead bird perhaps.
Might potter about there tomorrow with the binos and see if I can spot them again.

Dave

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
in answer to the original question, yes!! defonatly, there are many more buzzards than kestrals round here (south hams near plymouth) i go by coach to school and it is raised so i can see over all the hedges a trip i have done 5 days a week twice a day for the last 6 years and now i see buzzards all! the time probably see one if not more eveyday, i think its quite good that its a common sight, and we also have plenty of kestrals round here and i have seen a sparrow hawk a few times latly! (babble, babble, babble!!)

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Theres always been alot round here, but I can't leave the house without seeing one it seems. They clean up all the road kill nicely :-D

Don't see many other birds of prey. But, the other day on the coast path I can across a Kestral that must of had a heart attack mid air, and had just fallen dead, right ahead of me!

J

JeremyH

Interesting to note that the Common Buzzard(Buteo buteo) are being noticed. I summise that this is due to lack of persecution by estate management policies. On mainland Europe they are still persecuted heavily. They eat vetebrates - mice, rabbits and sometimes insects - hunting mainly from perchs in trees. They are quite lazy and will go for carion primarily.
I think they are a very underated raptor(Bird of prey) and think they should be renamed The Hill Eagle. Then many more will be seen! We have about 40 here on Islay.

www.islaybirding.co.uk

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Pulled into a layby on the a55 on anglesey in august and a buzzard just flew down and sat on top of a fencepost not 5 metres from where we were parked. It wasn't bothered in the least that we were there

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I got involed in Falconry in my early 20's one of the birds I "trained up" was a Buzzard. It's quite a "buzz" when one flies to your fist. :-D
Can't believe I just put that, somebody shoot me and put me out of my misery. PLEASE :AR15firin :nana:

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
It shows that the small mammal population is strong and it show's that predator pray relationship is healthy and well balanced.

Jack.

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
:) hello, I'm new here, any way, the buzzard population must have increased because we have them nesting up here in essex

N

nowhere

Can anyone help out with id'ing a buzzard? Are they seemingly very big, dark birds that like to glide quite high up? Also have a loud distinctive cry?

I thought these were buzzards that i had seen flying above some woodland in Sussex (even up to 5 at one time), but upon describing them, yesterday, i was told buzzards are quite small?

I'd love to know more.
Steve

N

nowhere

Thanks Adi,

I saw some more on Fri at yet another location. Then i also read in a cycling mag about a buzzard that had become famous for attacking cyclists - they had even put up a hazzard sign! Think i prefer the view from slightly further below.

Cheers,
Steve.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
nowhere said:
Thanks Adi,

I saw some more on Fri at yet another location. Then i also read in a cycling mag about a buzzard that had become famous for attacking cyclists - they had even put up a hazzard sign! Think i prefer the view from slightly further below.

Cheers,
Steve.
I'd love to see that sign! :-D

J

JeremyH

Common Buzzard id is not tricky - however beware of field guides and others! The best way is as follows:

In the field: If perched - this is usually on a convenient post or tree- it is reasonably big (compared to a Blackbird - Herring gull size. Usually darkish brown BUT not necessarily. It has a light 'mayoral chain' and looks hawk like.

If flying - try to work out how how high - they are usually not too high except when displaying - it has wide wings, that flap lazily and usually a flap, flap, glide flight. Their tail is fanned and seems to be 'shot into' the body with the wing overlapping. It has lots of browny dots and the tail barred.

Hope this helps

:-D

jeremy

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
In the south west you can almost guarentee you'll see buzzards whilst out and about. The dead give away that it is a buzzard when its flying are its wings - they are held in a shallow v shape whilst soaring and you can see this from quite a distance.

cheers gb

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE