Expanding my foraging knowledge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Hi all, just trying to expand my range of foraging knowledge I thought I'd post what I currently colelct, and ask what else you guys would suggest. My main pickings are:

Hazelnuts - toeat as they are but am looking for preservation methods
Sweet chestnuts - yum ! As above.
Blackberries - mainly for pies and jam
Sloes - erm gin
Apples - have not found any trees in the wild but i grow a few myself.
Elderberries - have not picked before but I am guessing wine or syrups.
Hawthorns - working on what to do with these
Rosehips - never collected but will do soon

I'd love to know a few things about edible mushrooms having found a parasol alst year ( was the most tasty mushroom i have ever eaten ). And also I would love to learn about a bit of coastal foraging, sea weeds etc.

If any of you guys could elaborate on the things I've mentioned or suggest some other common wildfoods out there I can get at this time of the year I would love to hear it.

thanks in advance

Bushpig

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
I guess it is one thing finding a few supplementals and another to live soley on ones foraging. I aspire to this, that and growing my own!

Side question: what are your thoughts on roadside foraging? I have spied some rosehips but wonder about car exhausts and contamination.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
Foraging from a roadside is usually discoraged due to pollution. What sort of road is it (size) ?
leon

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
I think it would be better to go somewhere else. But im sure that someone with more knowledge will be along soon to give their opinion ;)
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE