Existential Attack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
A "disease" that only invades those given of a Soul?

Well, the soul makes a wonderful starting point for a rational argument to justify behavior eh.

"Let's kill the godless, souless heathens."

The trouble with rational thinking is that you can rationalize just about anything, from genocide to rape. Rational think begins with a premise. It's the premise I worry about... :drive:

Last edited:

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
Well, the soul makes a wonderful starting point for a rational argument to justify behavior eh.

The trouble with rational thinking is that you can rationalize just about anything, from genocide to rape. Rational think begins with a premise. It's the premise I worry about... :drive:

Perhaps we're all saying somethig similar here, or at least there are some clear overlaps. The attraction of "getting out there" for many of us is getting away from the bounds of society (my word) and it's over-rationalisation (as you say) and to just go with nature, the animals, plants and environment and nature's own terms.

But I tend to agree with what you're saying that we can sometimes kid ourselves that rational argument can be the basis of a philosophy when in fact all it's doing is defending the way each of us would like to see things. :)

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge

This demonstrates exactly the problem identified by Jefferies, and to a lesser extend Thoreau, when attempting to describe their concern for "that other thing" but without reference to religion. That the former could do no better than refer to his torment as "soul life" is proof of just how restrictive our language is if wishing to allude to something beyond deity.

I don't see the question/observation in a "it must be rationalised" light but rather one where a certain comfort is derived in being reminded that we have a desire to understand ourselves.

Does a vixen concern herself with the "hostility" of a .22 Hornet bullet or move on to produce her next litter?

Cheers!

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
I find it weird that animals and plants aren't self aware yet are so much more in tune with things than we are.

and yet strangely early humans were much more in tune with their natural surroundings. They had to be to survive, in the same way that wild animals and plants still have to now.

So why did we collectively "decide" to move ourselves away from nature?
Did we think it would be better, and now some of us are realising we'ver gone too far?

I don't have the answers I'm afraid, only the questions (the easy bits) :dunno:

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
Does a vixen concern herself with the "hostility" of a .22 Hornet bullet?

Cheers!

If none of us rationalised, she wouldn't need to concern herself, because the .22 bullet would not have been rationalised into existance.

In other words might there be, if we humans stopped rationalising, no need for "concern" as a concept.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE