Every day Carry folder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Can anyone recommend an every day carry folding knife for me , am looking at a sub £100 budget and maybe with a belt pouch .

Was considering a Gerber Hinderer CLS or something like .........

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Is there any specific task you`ll be using it for?

If it is just for general everyday tasks I`d suggest an opinel or a victorinox huntsman.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Heinnie, whom I would strongly recommend, have a section just for UK Legal folding knives.

You will find it here.

Great avatar by the way, I have always loved Thesigers books.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Get yourself a Victorinox Huntsman, best UK legal pocket knife going; a light and comfortable carry but big enough and comprehensive enough for anything. Brilliant tool and less than £30.00........................:)

Haggis

Nomad
Most of my life I've carried a traditional 2-bladed folding knife, a "trapper" pattern. The last decade or so I've favored toolkit type knives: Leatherman or Victorinox types. I really like the Victorinox Huntsman, but my everyday carry knives are a Victorinox Farmer and a Leatherman Micra. Rather than carry two knives, I should simply carry the Victorinox Huntsman, I'd have the same tool kit, and more, but only one knife to fret over.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Can anyone recommend an every day carry folding knife for me , am looking at a sub £100 budget and maybe with a belt pouch .

Was considering a Gerber Hinderer CLS or something like .........

Pretty sure this is a locker so not realy an "ideal" edc in the UK.
If you like that tactical look then maybe a boker UK legal jobby.

I prefer my TBS board which is a slipjoint.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Thanks so far guys.....

Your right dwardo , it is a locker , i confused my request somewhat at the start , i do prefer the tactical look as opposed to traditional but am open minded .
Quality over looks ......

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Here you go a quick side by side of a few EDC knives

IMAG4658_zps6dtt7m6b.jpg

IMAG4659_zpsyrnnx5v3.jpg

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
If you are after a single blade knife knife and like a tactical look then legal choices are limited. I would search out a Spyderco UK knife. They have several styles of blade and finishes and start at around £50 ish but go higher if made with more exotic materials. They are very well made and thought of knives and although not strictly speaking tactical in look they are a more modern take on a pocket knife.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
My favourite is the Spyderco UKPK fits all your criteria.

The Byrd tern might be worth a look too its the knife I take if I'm working away and worried about losing my UKPK.

Moose

Feb 20, 2005
Torquay
I've carried a UKPK for years and highly recommend it if a single blade edc is what you're after. It came super sharp and I've found it very easy to keep it so. The one handed opening is soooo convenient. They come in various blade shapes and handle colours, and as has been said; the FRN handled versions can be had for around £50. The Byrd Tern looks to be a great cheaper alternative (plus you get G10 handle scales in any colour you like as long as it's black).

But for all-round pocket-able versatility the Victorinox Huntsman is king unless (like me) you like to be that little bit different? In which case I suggest the Wenger Soft Touch 17. Basically Wengers version of the Huntsman but with 'soft touch' evogrip scales in black, a cool clip point blade, and an overall slightly smaller package (mine lives on my keychain). This has also been my edc for a few years now and I can't imagine life without it. It's just too flaming useful. Every. Day!

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
A victorinox cadet would be my choice of small knife.
Alox farmer if you want a larger knife and saw.

Byrd turn for a single handed opener on a budget.

Spyderco grasshopper for the key ring.

If you twisted my arm and forced me to buy a sub 3inch skippy for that price I would go for an enzo pk70. Nothing beats it for a useable folder. It's the only sub 3" slippy I would ever take into the woods.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
This: http://www.heinnie.com/-UK-Legal-Ca...-Penknife-FRN-Leaf-Flat-Grind/p-641-658-9833/

While I like the look of classic pen knives, I hate with a passion, the tiny, uncomfortable little thumb notch that you have to prize the blade open with. It's designed by hateful nasty, pin headed jerks. If I wanted my thumb nail torn off I'd use pliers, not a badly designed knife blade control. Spyderco has a nice opening and closing grip and for £50 you can get a lovely case with the remaining cash.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
This: http://www.heinnie.com/-UK-Legal-Ca...-Penknife-FRN-Leaf-Flat-Grind/p-641-658-9833/

While I like the look of classic pen knives, I hate with a passion, the tiny, uncomfortable little thumb notch that you have to prize the blade open with. It's designed by hateful nasty, pin headed jerks. If I wanted my thumb nail torn off I'd use pliers, not a badly designed knife blade control. Spyderco has a nice opening and closing grip and for £50 you can get a lovely case with the remaining cash.

Mr Scagel thought the same thing...

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
I was in a similar position a few months ago. Wanted something different to my pen knife (something more knifey if that makes sense) and quite liked the slightly more tactical look (but none of this serrated blade rubbish).

Tried out the Spyderco UKPK and the Byrd Tern- Honestly I wouldn't say there was that much difference except the price! So I went for the Byrd and its a brilliant little thing.

I got mine off edcgear (no affiliation etc) as the cheapest supplier, and they supposedly have a 10% discount for FMs but I couldn't find it. I actually asked the owner and he said he would issue a new code if one of the mods from here got in touch with him- I posted about it in the FM forum but didn't hear anything more.

Hope you enjoy whatever you choose anyway :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE