Evernew titanium meths stove Part 1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Part 2 will cover the actual testing of the burner that arrived today.

I need to wait until it goes dark to do some of the shots I want (and so the kids won't be under foot)

I bought mine from the chap who makes the Clikstand stove. It comes from him with a free titanium wire adapter to better fit his stove, but I took the precaution of buying a spare

EvernewStove015.jpg

I will test fit it in a Trangia later.

It came with clear instructions and the manufacturing quality is excellent

EvernewStove016.jpg

EvernewStove0151.jpg

Here it is fitted in a stainless steel Clikstand

EvernewStove017.jpg

For which I also got the titanium wind shield (it was only a small amount more than the steel one)

Erenewkit01.jpg

Incidentally the wind shield has two settings, the larger of the two is ment to sit on the floor so any size pan can be accomedated.

Erenewkit02.jpg

More later, when I sincerely hope it shows some other superiority over a Trangia burner than just the weight ;-{D)

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've had a good play now so heres the results. All tests were done indoors at room tempreture (19 C) starting with cold equipment and using water straight from the tap. Annoyingly the medical and cooking thermometers I have don't cover the tempreture range of cold tap water so I can't give you a exact starting figures.

1st test with 54 grams (to the max line, 70 ml) of meths in the Evernew boiled 1 pint of water in a wide based ti pan with the lid on in 5 mins 30 odd seconds. It flared out in 17 min 10 seconds. I made no attempt to prime and the pan was put on the clikstand as soon as the burner was lit.

EvernewStove018.jpg

The second test under the same conditions and amounts s it boiled in 6 minutes 5 secomds and flared out at 17 minutes 45 seconds. After the first boil I cooled and refilled the pan with another pint and that boiled in 6 minutes.

I then tried it with 2 pints and to the 60 ml line and that boiled in almost exactly 12 minutes. On removing the pan there was about 15ml left in and that flamed out at 16 mins 20 min

EvernewStove020.jpg

I then tried the burner out of the stand and with a MSR Ti kettle holding a pint sat directly on top. I filled it to the 30 ml line and that boiled in 13 and a half minutes, flaring out 2 and a half minutes after I removed the kettle

EvernewStove019.jpg

So, if my experiance is anything to go by its certainly no slower than a trangia and I may get the time down with practice, adding 10% water etc.

It fits into a trangia base fine.

I'm happy with it and it feeds my titanium fetish but if weights not an issue then a good old Trangia burner works as well, can be carried filled, costs a hell of a lot less and burns for longer for the same amount of fuel, if not so hot. Unfortunately the stop watch threw a wobbler while I was doing a comparison test with a Trangia brass job but I can say that the first pint boiled consierably slower than the Evernews but the second one was about the same (6 to 8 minutes) and it definately flared out a fair bit later than the Evernew. However since my main gripe with the trangia has been it's slowness to boil that first pint without faffing about priming and it's weight I'm delighted with my new toy.

I'll see how priming, using the close fitting wind shield and any other variations effect things as I use it in ernest.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've had a good play now so heres the results. All tests were done indoors at room tempreture (19 C) starting with cold equipment and using water straight from the tap. Annoyingly the medical and cooking thermometers I have don't cover the tempreture range of cold tap water so I can't give you a exact starting figures.

1st test with 54 grams (to the max line, 70 ml) of meths in the Evernew boiled 1 pint of water in a wide based ti pan with the lid on in 5 mins 30 odd seconds. It flared out in 17 min 10 seconds. I made no attempt to prime and the pan was put on the clikstand as soon as the burner was lit.

EvernewStove018.jpg

The second test under the same conditions and amounts s it boiled in 6 minutes 5 secomds and flared out at 17 minutes 45 seconds. After the first boil I cooled and refilled the pan with another pint and that boiled in 6 minutes.

I then tried it with 2 pints and to the 60 ml line and that boiled in almost exactly 12 minutes. On removing the pan there was about 15ml left in and that flamed out at 16 mins 20 min

EvernewStove020.jpg

I then tried the burner out of the stand and with a MSR Ti kettle holding a pint sat directly on top. I filled it to the 30 ml line and that boiled in 13 and a half minutes, flaring out 2 and a half minutes after I removed the kettle

EvernewStove019.jpg

So, if my experiance is anything to go by its certainly no slower than a trangia and I may get the time down with practice, adding 10% water etc.

It fits into a trangia base fine.

I'm happy with it and it feeds my titanium fetish but if weights not an issue then a good old Trangia burner works as well, can be carried filled, costs a hell of a lot less and burns for longer for the same amount of fuel, if not so hot. Unfortunately the stop watch threw a wobbler while I was doing a comparison test with a Trangia brass job but I can say that the first pint boiled consierably slower than the Evernews but the second one was about the same (6 to 8 minutes) and it definately flared out a fair bit later than the Evernew. However since my main gripe with the trangia has been it's slowness to boil that first pint without faffing about priming and it's weight I'm delighted with my new toy.

I'll see how priming, using the close fitting wind shield and any other variations effect things as I use it in ernest.

ATB

Tom

Good review Tom, but don't add water, it only slows things down mate.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Um, I thought that sounded suspicious when I read it on another site last night. How can watering it down make it burn hotter? Mind you with my grasp of chemistry/physics ...

Boiling a piint on 30ml of meths will do me fine if I can get it to do that outdoors for most of the year.

ATB

Tom

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
Um, I thought that sounded suspicious when I read it on another site last night. How can watering it down make it burn hotter? Mind you with my grasp of chemistry/physics ...
People do it because it stops the soot on your pans, apparently. I never find it a problem so I've never bothered.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Incidentally the wind shield has two settings, the larger of the two is ment to sit on the floor so any size pan can be accomedated.

Erenewkit02.jpg
Are you sure about that? - I would think that would starve the burner of oxygen and prevent the 'chimney effect' which helps draw in more air?

on version 2 of the clickstand there are 2 notches on the windshield lugs to allow for 2 different diameter pots, hence the 2 settings for the windshield.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Are you sure about that? - I would think that would starve the burner of oxygen and prevent the 'chimney effect' which helps draw in more air?

on version 2 of the clickstand there are 2 notches on the windshield lugs to allow for 2 different diameter pots, hence the 2 settings for the windshield.

Aw bum! you are absolutely right, I'd never noticed there was a mk 2 version.

Well you know what that means, the next time I get some silly money I'll have to blow some on the Titanium Mk 2.

In the mean time I'll have to stand it on 3 paper clips.

Cheers bikething, I would have never realised that and would have spent the next decade wondering why it didn't draw right!

The wind shield will only fit around the smallest of my Ti Evernew pans anyway, the 1.3, and that on the biggest setting.

ErenewClick2.jpg

I'm thinking about getting a smaller Evernew pot, either the 0.6 or the 0.9
, the 0.9 is the smallest that will fit the Clikstand inside but that isn't such a biggy as the space inside any pot isn't going to be wasted and since I've already got the 1.3 whats the real point of the 0.9, especially since I generally only use a pint at a time...

ATB

Tom

PS Evernew currently crowing about some award

http://www.backpacker.com/editors-choice-2010-evernew-titanium-cookware/videos/130

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE