Essex Fried Rabbit!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I tried the "Essex Fried Rabbit" dish at the weekend, as featured on Jamie Oliver's Jamie at Home series, and i must say - it was bloomin delicious!

It involves sauteeing the meat first for an hour or so in stock and wine, and then deep frying in breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. It made a brilliant change from the usual dishes of rabbit stew, rabbit pie etc.

Does anyone have any more unusual rabbit recipes? As I should have a good supply of rabbits over the next few weeks, and the thought of just doing stews with them is doing my head in and am keen to try more dishes!

cheers

Priam

Forager
May 24, 2011
Cheshire
Hi You Could try this,

I have done a similar dish years back and it was nice.

Rabbit with mustard - the mustard gives the dish real taste and moisture

From Brian Turner's Favourite British recipes. Serves six.

2 small rabbits, skinned
600ml chicken stock
150ml white wine
150ml double cream
3 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp grain mustard
1 tbsp olive oil
1 carrot
1 onion
2 celery stalks
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 200°C
Cut rabbits into legs and shoulders, trim saddles, remove belly, halve the saddles
Chop carcass and put in pan with belly pieces, chicken stock and white wine. Boil to reduce by half
Mix mustard with some salt and pepper and the olive oil. Smear this over the rabbit pieces
Fine dice the veg. Shove into bottom of casserole, lay rabbit pieces on top. Sprinkle nutmeg over, cook for 20 mins
Turn rabbit pieces over, strain stock into the casserole. Back into oven for 20 mins or til cooked.
Take out rabbit pieces, put in clean pan and keep warm
Add cream to stock left in casserole. Bring to boil.
Strain into clean pan with the rabbit, add grain mustard and lemon juice, bring back to boil.
Check seasoning and serve

Enjoy, Priam.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE