Essential 4x4 accessories

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
A good pair of boots :shock: 4x4 tend to get stuck deeper and farther in the bush than your regular vehicle you may have to walk out and get more help. People tend to try harder to go places and eventualy the best of us get good and stuck; out comes the help. :super:
just a thought

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
WD 40 seem to work on mine. That and covering it in duck tape before it gets wet.

When I fasten the new speakers in with baler twine I'll have used the full tool kit on it!

:rolmao: :rolmao: :You_Rock_ :rolmao: :rolmao:

Dave

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
MartiniDave said:
Where do you get waterproof stereos from?

Dave
Our Lightweight has a stereo hung on a but of timber attatched to the bolts holding the hard top to the windscreen frame. If water's deeper than this, a broken stereo will be the least of your worries :)

Before you ask : no, you can't hear the stereo when the truck's moving :)

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Adi007 said:
I think that it's time for a thread on essential 4x4 accessories.

I'll start with two things that I think adds to the steering and underbody safety of our Land Rover:

• Steering guard - protects the steering linkages at the front. Get these hit and you'll know about it so adding a guard dramatically improves safety.
  • Diff guard - know the diff cover and you could be facing a really expensive repair.

What's your essential 4x4 accessories?
I like to carry a couple of proper lorry type ratchet straps in the back of my Landy. Lots of obvious uses such as binding a cracked chassis, holding an axle in place if the springs or locating arms brake, holding doors shut when the catches pack up, holding the bonnet and spare wheel back against the roof rack to stop it falling and decapitating you if the stay fails.....you can tell I'm a Land Rover owner - I wouldn't worry about these scenarios if I had a nice reliable Toyota :)

The strap's ratchet mechanism generates enough mechanical advantage to use the strap as a short pull winch. Not as powerful as a hi-lift and chain, but a lot easier to use. Can be double rigged for twice the force but half the speed if you're really stuck.

I used to have a Tirfor forestry winch which I now regret selling. Fantastic tool. Designed to be used everyday in harsh conditions - cheaper, lighter, more reliable and more versatile than a vehicle mounted winch. The big 'uns will physically lift the front of a Landy off the ground.

I've seen Landies with cables running from the front of the wings to the upper corners of the windscreen frame to fend off branches and undergrowth. Great in the woods, but not very pedestrian friendly. Try to get your aerial and snorkel fitted on the offside where they're less likely to get damaged by overhanging branches on country lanes.

Pre 1987 Landy doors have recessed door handles which don't get tangled up in the scenery. They'll fit newer Landies as long as the matching catch mechanism and door stay is used.

Floppy rubber mud flaps fittted to older Landies can be tied back to the crossmember so they don't get stuck between the tyres and the ground when reversing on uneven terrain.

Having seen a Landy topple over, I'd add a decent roll cage to the list. The thin aluminium hard top or truck cab will fold as soon as any pressure's applied - nowhere near as strong as a modern car with an integral bodyshell.

Can of EZ start. Incredible stuff - it'll spark even the most tired diesel into life. Especially useful if air's got into the fuel system. Not a long term replacement for decent glow plugs and leak free fuel lines though......

Mobile phone and AA membership :)

Mobile phone and the number of a mate with tow rope.

I'd agree with everyone else on the importance of driver training. For most people, x amount of money spent on training will get you further up the trail than x amount of money spent on extras.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE