Essential 4x4 accessories

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I think that it's time for a thread on essential 4x4 accessories.

I'll start with two things that I think adds to the steering and underbody safety of our Land Rover:

• Steering guard - protects the steering linkages at the front. Get these hit and you'll know about it so adding a guard dramatically improves safety.
  • Diff guard - know the diff cover and you could be facing a really expensive repair.

What's your essential 4x4 accessories?

EdS

First and foremost decent tyres - the best way of not getting stuck. They don't need to mega mud tyres as set of All Terrain type are idea for most situations.

Underbody protection - Steering guard, front and rear dif guard. QT service rock slider is about the best for the back as it protects the front and back sides.

Vinyl seat or waterproof seat covers. You know there going to get dirty.

hi-lift jack - way jack with it and way can winch short distances with it. Plus strops and tow rope (101 uses forthem).

spade/digging shovel

Good quality oils

Some one with more experience to show you how to get the best out of your vehicle and how to read the terrain. It supprising where a standard vehicle will go, but also how easy it is to get a full kitted up vehicle stuck or broken.

A somebody to go of tarmac with - don't risk it on your own unless you know the route very well.

If its a Landy tool kit and over draft facility.

After that its add ons for more serious off roading rather than green laning/ general use ie snorkel, extended breathers etc..

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
All what EDs says is correct, including the overdraft!!!.
When I first got my Disco i booked a days tuition at a Landrover Experience School, having been tought and had a bit of practice, I can say that for everything I am likely to do with a Landrover can be achived by a straight out the box vehical. All I have fitted is a towing bracket for pulling my trailer.
Sure if you are going to do some serious off roading guard the dangly bits up, but for an odd drive on reasonable tracks no need.
Now I'll need to update this next week,
Wanted :- steering gear, diff guard.
Accessories round here, two Schoolkids and a head scarf and lots of chrome.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
I would have to agree with the suggestion to go on a good training course. The knowledge and experience of how to handle a 4x4 properly can far outweigh the importance of most accessories. I was lucky to go on a Land Rover course through work and I have to say it was great. Took me places with a Landy I wouldn't have looked at before.

Otherwise, I would suggest a good tow rope together with another 4x4 to pull you out just in case you do get stuck.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Wolfie said:
I would have to agree with the suggestion to go on a good training course. The knowledge and experience of how to handle a 4x4 properly can far outweigh the importance of most accessories. I was lucky to go on a Land Rover course through work and I have to say it was great. Took me places with a Landy I wouldn't have looked at before.

Otherwise, I would suggest a good tow rope together with another 4x4 to pull you out just in case you do get stuck.
A word of caution of tow ropes and towing ... make sure that the anchor points you attach ropes to is secure and strong enough for the job ... I once saw a tow rope rip off an anchor point on a Bedford sending the rope and the anchor through the screen of a Marina van!
For a pul point of a Landy you can't do muc better than fitting a few jate rings to the chassis front and rear (assuming the chassis is in good nick).

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
Skid plates are a must, and of course the Hi-Lift jack. An extra set of U-joints are handy,extra set of belts to run the fan, altinater, power steering and such. Tow hooks mounted to the frame front and back. A good come along comes in handy even with using a the Hi-Lift. Along with the shovel some grating type material to under a tire, when stuck in the mud. Did I mention jumper cables. Might have to do a spot of welding with them or start another vehical.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Adi007 said:
A word of caution of tow ropes and towing ... make sure that the anchor points you attach ropes to is secure and strong enough for the job ... I once saw a tow rope rip off an anchor point on a Bedford sending the rope and the anchor through the screen of a Marina van!
For a pul point of a Landy you can't do muc better than fitting a few jate rings to the chassis front and rear (assuming the chassis is in good nick).

If you do have to tow someone out of something that they should not have driven in to - do it in reverse with your bonnet open. Hopefully it will catch the block and tackle before it leaves an imprint in your head. Stay away from kinetic ropes (just not worth the risk) :yikes:

Training, and a few bits to stop you breaking it should be all you need. Steering guard, jackable sills etc. High Lift (be careful), winch (but remember the training bit again), rope/strops, shovel, snorkel etc, etc.

If you get on a good course, you should get some good advice on what to fit without going way over weight with your vehicle (and getting stuck even more).

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Adi007 and Rob,

Good tips for towing. Once had a rope snap whilst pulling some driftwood off a beach. That gave me enough of a shock! Hate to think what it would have been like if it had been a winch cable or anything else substantial :yikes:

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
Wrap an old coat or blanket on your tow rope or cable. If it snaps it will wrap in the cloth intead of something more important. A "pullpal" tool is good to have if there is nothing to anchor too.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I bought a cheapo multi-tool, about £1.80 IIRC, that ALWAYS lives in the Series 3. So far it's worked well in that I haven't needed it, but if I were to take it out!!!

I also like to carry a Hi-lift and a shovel, along with a decent bit of rope, and a tool roll of the commonly needed spanners etc.

Never felt the need for skid plates etc on the leaf sprung landies, as the springs themselves seem to do the job.

With the Discovery I plan to install replacement bumpers so I can use the hi-lift on it, untill then I have to be very careful reading the ground.

Dave

EdS

Dave,

If your considering replacing your bumpers on the Disco have a look at the Marshland kit. The do bumpers with lifting point, recovers points and lamp holders. The recovery point with also take there detachatable winch plate, (there also akit to for rear winching & recovery).

http://www.marshlandoffroad.co.uk/

I've got the bolt on kit on my 90 - its the dogs Bits.

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
Dave

'Till you get your new bumpers Hi Lift (or Jackall I can't remember which) are doing an adapter which allows you to use the jack on one of your wheels. See LR Enthusiast Magazine August 2004 P95.

Cheers

Shaun

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Thanks Shaun,

I saw that but wondered how good it would really be. I'd really like to replace the defender I had stolen, but the prices for anything without starship mileage are rediculous! On road the disaco is a far better family car, but in the serious clag you can't beat a defender - unless it's with a series 3 :nana:

Dave

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
gurushaun said:
Dave

'Till you get your new bumpers Hi Lift (or Jackall I can't remember which) are doing an adapter which allows you to use the jack on one of your wheels. See LR Enthusiast Magazine August 2004 P95.

Cheers

Shaun
Super idea ... thanks Shaun!

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Here's what I carry...

Hi-Lift Jack, Defender chassis adapter and a big lump of wood.
Spade, of the pointed type.
Turfer Winch and 23m of steel cable.
Snatch Block.
Two straps
Tow-rope (lifting strop off a timber boat).
D shackles of various sizes.
Strong pair of leather gloves.
Some old carpet.
Engine oil, brake fluid, water and anti-freeze mix.
Compressor.
Lamp........
...and a few tools.
It has a steering guard fitted but no diff guards. I'll have to look into getting some as I've scrapped the rear diff on the ground more than once, lucky it was only mud :roll:
I run it on Bronco Roughrider mud tyres which are very good (see avatar for tread pattern).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE