Esee 5

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fielder1963

Aug 29, 2013
Shropshire
K
Esee 5

I recently bought an Esee 5, not everyone's taste I know. Last week we holidayed in a log cabin. There was a log burner, but only 3 very small logs and two huge tough logs, too big to fit in. On a whim I took the 5 with me. I'm glad I did. The first night was cool with heavy rain. We wanted to have a fire but needed to split the wood. My wife thought I was crazy when I said I would use my knife. The logs were incredibly tough and bore axe marks where someone had tried to chop them but failed. I battoned smaller sections off them to make logs, then split those into sticks. The 5 was brilliant. We had a lovely fire, followed by a good week with good weather. I can't do pictures sorry.

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
Hi mate, I too have an esee 5, and I wholeheartedly agree with you that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it can handle itself when called upon, mine is an orange variant, that is orange handle (g10 as opposed to usual mkcRta) and an orange blade as well, I managed to get it at a fair discount because the shop I called to check if it was in Stock first said no, then when I double checked said they only had an orange model, but would give me a big discount on it, it was a deal (I never told the cashier that I actually wanted the orange model).

It is a brute of a knife, but came to me blunt, after quite a bit of work it's now very sharp and will take any abuse I care to throw at it, from battening hard wood to slicing tomatoes (slicing thin, not squishing), and of course if something goes wrong then esee will give me a new one.

I added an esee pouch to the kydex sheath and find it very useful, but it's damn heavy combo, you know it's there and need a real mans belt to carry it, but is does whatever I as of it, ax replacement maybe not but substitute in an emergency yes, good knife but not for the ultralight crowd.

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
I understand. I wore a Becker BK-2 one summer/fall several years ago while metal detecting in the Boreal forest. I considered it a good compromise cutting/splitting tool to initiate a quick fire, in a small package. It is long gone but I have considered the ESEE 5 now and then. Agreed, not for everyone. But I found it surprisingly quick to forget about the weight when on my belt. I'll see if I can dig up an old picture.

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
Great pictures. I think the Esee 5, whilst not perfect for all tasks by any means, performs better than many people imagine.

Thank you sir. My wife and I are going to vacation in the Boreal forest soon. I have no idea which toys/tools to take up there this time. I played around with the Fiskars hatchet, a SAK, and a silly big Becker BK-5 last year. I find it fun sometimes to just indulge in my outdoors fantasies now and then and bring along whatever tickles my toenails.

a site were buffalo bones were processed to make pemmican

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE