Escape & Evasion Survival Board

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
From reading posts here I understand that some of you find the introduction page harsh. It is definitively assertive and for a good reason. We dont like people who talk but dont do the walk. Nor do we like militia or people who post once and enjoy the hard work, openness and helpfulness of the members there.

All I like to say is dont judge a book (or Forum) by its cover. Once you decided it is for you and jumped through the hoops you will have entered one of the most friendly and informative boards on the net where people are more than ready to help each other and have access to unique information or links due to our experienced moderators.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
C_Claycomb said:
Using internet forums is dead easy. If the place has information you want, you play by the rules that their Admin sets. If you don't like the rules, don't play.

Chris/Mods...isn't one of BCUK rules that people aren't suppose to link to their own sites without an obvious reciprocating link? I remember a few people from another bushcraft forum have been asked to implement a link, so shouldn't this be the case for this fella?

On the subject of the forum its-self, it looks like a well set up forum with a wide array of subjects but not my cup of tea. Thanks for letting us know about it though.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
This thread is interesting. I am constantly surprised but how many people lose their rag on a forum but walk quietly by when action is required to solve real issues.

If you dont like it dont join. Its all been said before.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wayne said:
This thread is interesting. I am constantly surprised but how many people lose their rag on a forum but walk quietly by when action is required to solve real issues.

If you dont like it dont join. Its all been said before.

Not quite sure what you mean there. It seems to me the person that lost their rag was East Scout.

A couple of people who were obviously interested enough to have a look, commented that they did not find the site welcoming then East Scout had a go at them for not being "tough enough" :dunno:

It sounds like the sort of site I might have found interesting but such bully boy tactics changed my mind quite quickly.

In my experience it tends to be the "I'm so tough" types that are the first to lose thier cool when the chips are really down and nothing I've seen so far in this thread lies contrary to that.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I found the site a couple of months ago and joined to have a look, I even posted a couple of times. I found the site interesting with some decent stuff on there, but most of it isn't really my thing. I found the outlook and lifestyle of a lot of the members a bit strange to my way of thinking (that is a comment, rather than an insult :rolleyes: ), but on the whole it was interesting and somewhere to drop into when I had the time.
I hadn't visited for a while and tried to log in a few days ago to find my account seems to be deleted, and I couldn't have a browse around(apart from the rules and "wall of shame!")so although I found it interesting I didn't find it interesting enough to have to re-register every couple of weeks if that is how often I chose to look in.
Unless I broke the rules or upset someone I can't see the point of deleting accounts of occasional users?
I will keep any other (many) comments about your posting and attitude on this forum to myself as I can't see any benifit from further comments.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Wayland said:
Not quite sure what you mean there. It seems to me the person that lost their rag was East Scout.

A couple of people who were obviously interested enough to have a look, commented that they did not find the site welcoming then East Scout had a go at them for not being "tough enough" :dunno: .

I agree ES could have expressed himself better. There are often threads on here that I dont like. I try not to let it get me upset. I have noticed that people tend to get quite emotional on forums when elsewhere they would just shrug and move on. I was a bit OT when I commented on peoples lack of action. I helped a young lad the was hurt by a group to youngsters recently. Everyone else walked on by. Yet these people get heated on forums etc about lack of moral fibre etc etc.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
couldn't agree more with you there, I actually like the sound of the forum and would proberbly get a lot out of it, East Scou's attitude just rubbed me up the wrong way, but as he's appologies, i may forgive him and have a look, afterall it is the season of good will, and all that :rolleyes:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wayne said:
I agree ES could have expressed himself better. There are often threads on here that I dont like. I try not to let it get me upset. I have noticed that people tend to get quite emotional on forums when elsewhere they would just shrug and move on. I was a bit OT when I commented on peoples lack of action. I helped a young lad the was hurt by a group to youngsters recently. Everyone else walked on by. Yet these people get heated on forums etc about lack of moral fibre etc etc.

Yes it's a sad sign of our times that many people are afraid to get involved these days. To much news coverage of people getting hurt when they do.

The problem is people that do others a good turn, generally don't go shouting about it to the papers so we get a very slanted view.

In general people are good hearted when they are not frightened, but we live in times where fear is being peddled by the media and the politicians for thier own purposes and little good will come of it I suspect... :(

Reactions: Shambling Shaman

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
andyn said:
Chris/Mods...isn't one of BCUK rules that people aren't suppose to link to their own sites without an obvious reciprocating link? I remember a few people from another bushcraft forum have been asked to implement a link, so shouldn't this be the case for this fella?

Yes that is the rule and it would be the gentlemanly thing to do.

However, the rule is there really to give the moderators a tool to use to stop someone from persistently marketing their own forums on BcUK without offering the same in return. If the link is a one-off, "FYI" sort of thing, then we tend to cut a little slack and leave it down to the discretion of the forum owner. It would only become a problem if the other site was frequently pimped without offering something in reciprocation.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This is a bit of a weird thread. For starters it would have been nice to be asked if another board could be openly promoted. But that aside the issue of sig reciprocation has been raised. When another site that has a link from here to there has an open links section it’s a no brainer that a reciprocal link is warranted and indeed, written into the rules of theis site. If there’s no public links section on the sire then it would be unreasonable of me to immediately demand they install a links section, many that are in this position happily put up a reciprocal link when they have an appropriate place to put it, they often contact me and make sure that I’m happy with how things are, very few people refuse to have a link after a few reminders and contact. Most read the rules and are happy to abide by them as I would be on anyone else’s site.

In this instance I believe that there is a link that all the members of the site can see, which shows some thought and an effort to accommodate the reciprocal link, when an opportunity to put up the link for all to see arises I trust that this will happen, especially considering the efforts already made to have a link in place.

I am uncertain to post this, but as there are some comments from some worthy people - oh yeah _AND_ it was £1 a pint this evening in my local so I shall: -

IMHO,

Internet etiquette has never worked with "real" people - and there are many real people on this forum. Our opinions are as diverse as our backgrounds and boundaries - and rightly so.

There are posters to this thread that I respect - some I have met and others I have not - I believe that we are all well balanced folk and we can view, understand, discuss or opt out of threads for our own reasons.

Be nice to get the minor details pulled into line as we all have a lot to offer each other.

Well there’s my £1 a pint comment - no offence intended :beerchug:

Phil

Reactions: Shambling Shaman

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
I am uncertain to post this, but as there are some comments from some worthy people - oh yeah _AND_ it was £1 a pint this evening in my local so I shall: -

IMHO,

Internet etiquette has never worked with "real" people - and there are many real people on this forum. Our opinions are as diverse as our backgrounds and boundaries - and rightly so.

There are posters to this thread that I respect - some I have met and others I have not - I believe that we are all well balanced folk and we can view, understand, discuss or opt out of threads for our own reasons.

Be nice to get the minor details pulled into line as we all have a lot to offer each other.

Phil
I totally agree. One of the things I really like about this site is the diversity of the people and their willingness to help each other. A good example of this was the recent accommodation between scoops and the Firebox manufacturers. I think that part of the response to the earlier comments was the members of this forum rallying round. We won't always all get on, the world's not like that. However, we can respect the other guys point of view, even if we don't agree with it.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Too Much Kit To Carry said:

IMHO,

Phil

Fully agree

Wayland - I concur with all you said :)

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
East Scout, I wish you all the best with your site. :)

However, I find the lack of the ability to see what others have posted before, sad...

My time is valuable, and I have severely pruned my 'Net habits, so I guess I will be forever ignorant of your content, which appears to be well covered in all bases...
Yes, I have read all that I am allowed to read, and you have indeed put a lot of thought into the layout...
Good luck! :)

BOD

East Scout said:
BOD..

... Im not gonna debate w/ you or anyone else the reason I chose E&E for a forum but Ill tell you that your theories are way off.. :swordfigh

Scout, Not wanting to debate with you. What I was saying was that there could be more of an explaination than that give by the Survivalists sticky.

Ok. Catastrophes may happen and we should be prepared. You could tell us what makes your forum different from just advice about being prepared and having bushcraft skills.

You use E & E as the theme, specifically military E & E. I don't see its relevance for catastrophe preparedness :confused: unless you mean that the pessimistic outcome of a catastrophe will be a dog eat dog anarchy.

That may have happened in New Orleans, or Florida, I don't know, but after the Indian Ocean tsunami generally it seems that communities pulled together to rebuild/

Just give us a taster of what is on offer that's all.

Cheers

:beerchug:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
A number of forums have a members only are (this one for example) and its a good idea.
However would be interested in seeing more of the content. One site I know has a taster section with a few articles for general viewing as well as the group philosophy, while retaining the vast bulk of content an forums for members only.

I would be interested in the E&E forum, as imo preparedness and bushcraft are closely allied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE