Engraved Stone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I wonder if the old maps would show a boundary or gateway nearby ?

Interesting though :)

cheers,
M

Hmm...there is a possiblity that it could be a parish boundary marker. It certainly is on the cusp of two villages (Boughton Monchelsea and Wierton, in Kent), but Wierton is part of the civil parish of Boughton Monchelsea. So it may be an old church parish boundary. But it's about 100m into the woods from the main path (Greensand Way) that runs between the two parishes. Since the Enclosures Act I would doubt boundaries/hedgeways/paths to vary so much.
But the nature of the markings also seem decidedly un-Christian. Although I don't know about such things and maybe such markings are par for the course? I don't know.
There is a large manor house just a few hundred metres further along the Greensand Way called Wierton Place. This dates from the mid-18th century. I suppose it is possible that some of the farmland surrounding may have been sold off and boundaries changed and it could be an old manor boundary marker? Did such things exist? Although the stone doesn't look that old to me. And, again, the nature of the markings seems anomalous
I have emailed a local pagan/wicca group to see if the stone means anything to them. Although anything 'spiritual' tends to get jumped on and assumed by such types. I will wait and see what they say and make my judgement based on the quality of their response.
For anyone who has access, the map coordinates would be (roughly) TQ778502 (using OS Landranger 188)

pwb

There is a large manor house just a few hundred metres further along the Greensand Way called Wierton Place. This dates from the mid-18th century. I suppose it is possible that some of the farmland surrounding may have been sold off and boundaries changed and it could be an old manor boundary marker? Did such things exist? Although the stone doesn't look that old to me. And, again, the nature of the markings seems anomalous

I used to do a bit of fencing when I work on an estate and did come across some of the boundaries with neighbouring farms marked out with either boundary stones or more commonly , giving the nature of the land , markings carved direct on to large Stones that were on the fence line.
These marks were in the form of initials though and if memory serves were also on the map too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Boundary or part of the old estate in some way seems most likely. Manor houses were just the centre of the web of everything from farms to small trade workshops. No idea what carvings were on the stones of the house and outbuildings.
:dunno:

Hear ? there's a turn up for the books :) and Archaeologist not saying something is, "Clearly of ritual significance." because she doesn't know what it actually is :D

cheers,
Toddy

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
Hi Durulz,it seems to me it's a very old stone with a moon/sun symbol on it.
Maybe used by druids or wicca.

Theo

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Here's a turn up for the books :) and Archaeologist not saying something is, "Clearly of ritual significance." because she doesn't know what it actually is :D
That made me laugh out loud. Thank goodness I'd just put my tea down...

My tuppence worth...
The stone seems "modern" to me as there doesn't seem to be any Lichen growth on it at all. Really old stones should have some, surely?Does look more chiseled than pecked. The symbols don't just mean sun and Moon though, they also represent gold and silver in alchemy. Not sure that I've helped any, rather than adding more possibilities.

Maybe it's The Philosophers Stone......no?.....ummmm?....errr?....maybe not then. =o)

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
The Percy family (dukes of Northumberland) badge is the crescent moon...Not sure if they had land in your area, but wouldn't surprise me if they did at some stage...

Percybadge.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE