Emergency rations..... or end of trip treats???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AndyJDickson

Sep 29, 2011
Northern Ireland
Hi,

Im getting to point now where Im getting more time and energy to out more. My son is now old enough to tag along on small hikes and having lost 3 stone I have more puff getting up the hills.

But I was buying some food stuffs for my next expedition the other days and perusing the confectionery isle got me thinking about emergency rations. When I was doing my DOE and expedition training they were always an essential part of every trip and usually consisted of your fave choc bar/packet of nuts/sweets. I know these were classed as emergency rations but my opinion was that they were end of trip treats that we used to consume while waiting for the bus etc as I was fortunate to never need to use them for anything else.

Sorry Im rambling on a bit... I just wanted to ask if you had any prefs for ERs (or sweet sugary snacks for the hills) and or if you ever had a chance to actually use them for anything other than an end of hike treat...

My pref is boost bars/ trail mix btw

Andy

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I still keep Kendall mint cakes in my pack for emergencies (though i was thinking about this the other day and cannot think of an emergency anywhere i go camping that would require emergency rations).
I wouldnt call them my favourite but then again anything i do really like tends to get eaten part way through a trip.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
My 'emergency' rations are just more of what I'd usually take, i.e. if I plan to go out for 2 days I take 3 days worth of food. So say I'd take 750g of rice instead of 500g - snack food like chocolate/ nuts etc are for treats/ munching/ that burst of instant energy needed.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My emergency rations over here are usually some super- noodles as a pure, easy cook belly filler. The nice stuff never makes it home !

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Can't remember where I saw this, but I encountered someone advocating tinned dog food as an emergency ration. The argument being that anything nicer wouldn't actually be saved for an emergency.

Can't say I agree with it, but I admire their moxy ;).

In a true survival situation your psychological equilibrium is at least as important as your physical. Something comforting in a time of crisis is important for lifting your mood and clearing your thinking. If it gets eaten, so be it. It should of course always be replaced.

So we're talking potatoes, gravy, bread and chocolate type things. Comfort foods - worry about eating healthy another day ;)

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My 'emergency' rations are just more of what I'd usually take, i.e. if I plan to go out for 2 days I take 3 days worth of food. So say I'd take 750g of rice instead of 500g - snack food like chocolate/ nuts etc are for treats/ munching/ that burst of instant energy needed.

+1 on this philosophy. Never actually needed them yet.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Went for a 13 mile bimble with a friend today. I skipped breakfast and took no food. Not to worry she had brought along cakes and chocolate for the occasion knowing that I would not have brought anything to eat :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE