elderflower wine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
The elderflowers are comming into full flower so good time to start making it
I use 2ltrs of grape juce from the cartons +1/2 ltr apple juce +one lemon juce and 1/2 kg sugar with a wine yeast (Not bakers as its different ) get it all fermenting for a few days then top up with about 2lrs of water in which you have infused the white flowers (not the stalks ) for a couple of hours great for a little difference leave out the apple juce and try a fusion of nettles or vine leaves .

Reactions: led

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Timely reminder :D
My grandfather and dad and now me have always used ordinary or bakers yeast tho'. seems to work just as well and 3 generations can't be far wrong, tho I guess we aren't that demanding in comparison to connoisseurs :rolleyes:
Despite that, better get out and cull some flowers :)

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
edge of the peak district
an old boy near me used to make elder flower champagne, it was fantastic, unfortuatly he passed away a good few years back and took his secret with him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,shame it was really good, lol

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Not out up here yet, but I'm, looking forward to their arrival :D

Remember of course if you're using bought fruit juice in brewing to make sure it dosn't have potassium sorbate or sodium metabisulphate or similar in it (basically E200 - E240ish) - these preservatives are designed to stop yeast cells dividing, and help prevent your fruit juice fermenting :rolleyes:

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
elderflower champagne...if I remember correctly...

a gallon of good clean water... you can boil it and let it cool, in a clean plastic bucket. 4 lemons cut up, a kilo of sugar dissolved into the water whilst still hot. once all this ready go pick 6 heads of elderflower, preferably on a warm sunny day and sling into the pot straightaway. no yeast needed, it comes with the flowers. put a lid on the bucket and place somewhere warm. After 4 days it should be ready to bottle in plastic fizzy drink containers. i usually leave it a day then stack em in the bottom of the fridge, upright.

I think that's right, it's been a while since I made any.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE