Elderflower recipies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hi folks, the Elder is in full flower over here at the moment so i was wondering if any of you make Elderflower Champagne or Cordial.
If so got any recipies ?
Thanks
Rich

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Is this the same as elderberry (Sambucus? If so, dipping the flower clusters in a batter and frying is excellent eating.

I once made jelly from elderberry but it didn't gel, even though I added pectin. BUT, it made one of the best pancake syrups I've ever tasted. :-D

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Doesn't Hugh Furry Whippingstool give some recipies for Elderflower.
I think that's where SWMBO gets her recipies from anyway.

Cheers

Mark

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Suggest steeping the flowers in hot water and judging the colour
A pale straw yellow
Remove flowers, add sugar and yeast and start fermenting

Happy brewing
Tant

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Elderberries and elderflowers despite being from the same tree are quite different. Think white flowers on a bramble bush and juicy sweet blackberries, or Rose hips and rose flowers ...
I was hoping somebody might have Grannies old Elderflower Champagne moonshine recipe or summit.
Cheers
Rich

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
http://thefoody.com/drinks/elderflowercordial.html and i found this but dont know if its correct Elderflower Champagne

Elderflower heads 5 pints
Cold water 5 qts.
Lemon 1
Sugar 3 1/4 cups
White wine vinegar 2 tbsps.
Campden tablets 2

Dissolve the sugar in warm water and allow it to cool. Squeeze the juice from the lemon and chop the lemon rind roughly. Place the elderflowers in a bowl and add the vinegar. Pour on the rest of the water and add the campden tablets. Steep for four days. Strain the infusion well so that all solid matter is excluded, and bottle in screw-top bottles. The elderflower champagne will be ready to drink in seven days. This is a very hit-and-miss recipe--sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If there is no sign of the natural yeast present in the flowers working after a day or two, try adding a little activated yeast.

The elder blossom at Midsummer represents the Goddess, and this is the traditional time to gather the flowers for wine and the leaves for healing salves.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
The best recipe for elderflowers-

Pick from tree.
Shake to remove anybody thats living there.
Open mouth.
Cram flowers in.
Chew and swallow.

Heaven!!!!!!!

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Roving Rich said:
Hi folks, the Elder is in full flower over here at the moment so i was wondering if any of you make Elderflower Champagne or Cordial.
If so got any recipies ?
Thanks
Rich

Go down to your Oxfam shop, and buy any old books on country wines.

But be warned: elderlower wine is particulary addictive, especially among those who like the flowery German white wines (Rheinhessen, and Rheinpflaz even more so).

And a word of caution: there are many strains of elder: some produce flowers that smell distinctly of cat wee (and no, it can't be that cats have ****** on them).

I personally prefer elderberry to elderflower (OK, so elderflower fritters are better than elderberry fritters). But elderberries contain a lot of tannin. This can be reduced by boiling a half to two-thirds of your berries before setting them to ferment.

Also, beware of berry skins floating to the top of your demi-john and clogging the airlock. The pressure builds up, until it blows the plug of redskins up to your invariably white ceiling (it never, ever happens in a room with a red ceiling). And that stain lasts.

Keith.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
in al's recipy it says "Steep for four days" can anyone tell me what steep means?

also on another note to do with brewing sfety:
my dad and i were making a homebrew, and it was in the boiler room in a big bucket with only a tea towl to cover it, now the boiler room being warm is also a favorite place for our cat, the pour begger miss juged the rigidity of the tea towl and ended up swimming in beer, unfortunatly he then went a licked it all of, he was swaying somewhat when he left the house and we didnt see him for a few days.
note: always keep animals out or brewing items well covered! :-D

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
tomtom said:
in al's recipy it says "Steep for four days" can anyone tell me what steep means?
It means leave the flowers in the water for four days.

Enjoy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE