Elderflower champagne??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fireman sam

Jan 26, 2009
the woods
Made some today! From this recipe: http://www.channel4.com/food/recipe...ngstall/elderflower-champagne-recipe_p_1.html dead easy, but will have to wait a bit for a review...

I was likewise about to try that recipe but had a look at the bottom of the page and discovered that there were many disgruntled forum comments from people who had already tried it and were convinced that there was a typo with regards to the amount of sugar used. Now whether they are correct or not I don't know, but most seemed to thing that the sugar quantity should be halved, so that's what I've done. Only did this yesterday so it will be interesting to see whose one works. Since there's such a quick turn around with this stuff I guess it gives both of us the opportunity to try again if need be!

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
The elderflowers around me are just starting to come into full bloom... planning on making a large amount of elderflower champagne, to compliment the bottled nettle, and dandelion and burdock beer in my cellar.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i LOVE elderflower. the smell, the taste, cordial, wine you name it.
unfortunatly its the biggest trigger of my hey fever... i've got some elder stems from the early spring that have seasoned and i'm going to do something with em soon i hope.
i'll also dig out the recipe i have for champaign its out of a little hand printed book i got a long time ago from a friends wife. some good stuff in it actually i'll have to duplicate on here ;)

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
you don't need a demijohn for elder flower champers, just a really clean bucket and some plastic tubing to syphon it off into bottles :)

I pinch them from work (bakery) we buy in Jam etc in big plastic buckets. I'm sure if you went to your local baker, they'd give you something? Too good to wait for I think. And my house smells AMAZING! :D

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
it's best to use plastic so they don't explode, old water bottles... I have been known to use old screw top wine bottles, and have gotten away with it so far ;) but that doesn't make it a great or sensible idea. corks never work for me, when I made nettle beer, I kept it in the bedroom and the cork popped when I was asleep... scared the bejesus out of me!

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Went to check my elderflower champagne last night, as per recipe instructions to see if it was starting to ferment, and... it's grown large-ish patches of mould! :eek:

Has anyone else had this problem? do you reckon I can just skim it off and carry on? Or is it the end of the road for this batch? :confused:

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Went to check my elderflower champagne last night, as per recipe instructions to see if it was starting to ferment, and... it's grown large-ish patches of mould! :eek:

Has anyone else had this problem? do you reckon I can just skim it off and carry on? Or is it the end of the road for this batch? :confused:

are you sure it's mould an not the froth from the fermenting process??

fireman sam

Jan 26, 2009
the woods
Just opened my first bottle and it was fantastic, although a tad sweet for my taste.

I used the River Cottage recipe but halved the sugar (after reading the River Cottage forum comments that the quantity described on the web page contained a typo) and as mentioned, even then it was a little sweet. It was similar to drinking a good quality cloudy lemonade, and tasted much more like a slightly alcoholic fizzy soft drink than champagne.

I'd highly recommend the River Cottage recipe but am going to use a third of the sugar with batch number two, which I'll be making this weekend. This I think will give it a much drier taste more akin to real champagne.

fireman sam

Jan 26, 2009
the woods

Don't worry about the mold, mine had this too, just get rid of the offending flowers, if that's what it's growing on, or get rid of it when you filter it through muslin or whatever else you're planning to use for this - I used a couple of t-shirts!

Best of luck!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Not when they don't grow big enough for a hearth board or grow straight enough to use as a hand drill though :aargh4:

You only need a few inches to make the drill, socket it onto a straight piece of hazel. Carry the straight hazel and a few sections of straigh elder and you'll be set up. I recently found a huge pice of elder that would work great for a hearth board but I wasn't thinking friction fire lighting at the time. I think it got burnt! :eek: Anyway, I've got some decent clematis so all is not lost! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE