Egg Coffee and Camp Coffee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
g4ghb said:
Personally you can strain it or add what you want and it still tastes like scrapeings from the devils jockstrap :eek: (well to me it does;) )

I'm always supprised that noone has produced a 'coffee bag' - it works so well for tea!

cracking tea gromit! :) - can't beat a good brew! (strike one for the tea drinkers!:D )

Lyons make coffee bags, you can get it from Asda, Tesco any of the main supermarkets, its all I ever take when I go camping, not really keen on instant. Started buying it for work now as well.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
pierre girard said:
Red:

She doesn't drink coffee and could care less how I want to poison myself. I never use a percolater while camping - ruins the ambience (still haven't been to the post office - an all day trip - but I will get there end of this week ).

PG

Pierre,

:) Don't worry about it for me mate - if thats all your going for, have a day on the lake ;)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
When I was in Finland a few years ago, we used to buy coffee especialy for brewing on a fire in a kettle/pot, the only differnce was the size of the grind was a lot bigger than normal, so they sank to the bottom on there own, and we did have the pot tip foward slightly so they collected in the corner.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
We sometimes bring the coffee as beans and place them in a sock and place the sock on a rock or stump and pound it with a billet of firewood to make grounds (I wouldn't use my best pair of socks!). We've also brought green coffee and roasted it over the fire in a skillet.

Makes good coffee. Of course any coffee, cooked over a campfire, is good coffee.

PG

I used the "sock technology" or more largely put: the "wrap-in-textile-and-bang-away" technique on many occasions and for different purposes

I realised it wears out socks at a v' speed. There must be a more 'sustainable' way to grind coffee. I know mortars are heavy to carry... but still... (clean)socks do take up volume in your backpack.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
GSICoffeeGrinder.jpg

GSI Coffee Grinder. 7 ounces. :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
If you right click on the link, you will see the source. It's backcountry.com. Do a search on google and I think you will find other sources. I've never used this one but I have another that's a little bigger that I keep in my camper. Maybe someone will get one and give us a review, eh? One of my least favorite things to do is hand crank coffee. I have a nice old German coffee mill I used to use but it just wore me out. That's when I attached my hand drill to it. :D Now for around home and at work, I just use the cheapie coffee grinders. For camping I use the one I mentioned above. I forget who makes it but it works pretty good and you can get a good grip on it. Too big to back pack though imo but not for a canoe trip. Add one of these dandy little French Press cups or even lighter, a filter holder, and you won't have to pick coffee grounds out of your teeth ever again. ;)

frenchpresscup1b.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ahem ;) As a badge wearing tea jenny I have a collection of tea strainers.....okay, I'm a tea snob, T bag tea is vile.......but two years ago I bought the best tea strainer ever. It fits right inside my cup, comes with a little lid that acts as a saucer when I lift the strainer out of my mug or the pot, and effectively strains all teas be they leaf, flower, bark or ground seeds.
HWMBLT swiped my spare one and uses it to make his coffee everyday :eek: , and it's still working perfectly, two years later. Fits army mugs and kuksas too :rolleyes: :D
The company I bought it from sells nice little starter sets of teas and a strainer for a tenner, and when you're done with the teas you have six neat little tins to play with too :D :cool:
http://www.nbtea.co.uk
go to teas and then starter sets for the link.
If I make a pot of coffee I just give it a swirl with a fork and the grounds fall to the bottom. If I'm being fussy I pour the coffee through the strainer too.

Cheers,
Toddy

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
pierre girard said:
Source link?

PG

Oooh that does look nice, a portable burr grinder, looks like the top off my barrel grinder, is it adjustable for grind size too?

I thought this thread was about chickory coffee essence in the bottles, which would actually be ok if it wasnt so damn sweet.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
By strange coincidence A friend of mine who works part time in a local charity shop gave me a stove top type perculator. She knew I drink real coffee but I use a french press at home. Its a prestige aluminium one from the label i'd say 20 years old but in new condition never been used I'd guess its about a two mug size. The thing is I use a trangia SA when out so its of no real use to me my local woods are council owned so no fires so I can't even use it as a kettle without the basket like i'd first thought so if any of you coffee buffs want it let me know. First uk pm gets it. GONE
Dave.

Reactions: British Red
I use a Bodum "Filtre Belgique", which is very light in black plastic. It only makes one cup but that is fine by me. No fuss or mess really.

I also use Lyons Coffee bags but be warned - I find them very easy to break when squeezing them out.

Chris

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Ive used a few cheap machines in search of the perfect espresso but always end up preferring a stove top mocha pot for taste and simplicity, the little one cup aluminium ones in the outdoor shops work well for camping, though you dont really get crema with a mocha pot.

I havent used them recently but i have had excellent service from these people and they had a good range when I last looked Has Bean Im not too keen on caffatiere coffee, always tastes washed out, I like a medium roast fruity bean nothing too dark :)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Damnit Hoodoo, you beat me to it...I was going to post a picture of a portable drip coffee maker!

I take a Melita drip system with me, and I make the filters up before I leave, rolling the ends and stapling them. And then I vacuum pack them into an airtight bag, so I can basically toss my coffee inside of a raging river and my precious, precious beans *cough* (lifeforce) stay dry!

Because hey, after toilet paper, what in the bush is more important than that delicious morning coffee when the dawn is just peeking over the horizon and there's not a soul within a hundred kilometres of you?

It's a wonderful feeling.

Adam

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
jason01 said:
Ive used a few cheap machines in search of the perfect espresso but always end up preferring a stove top mocha pot for taste and simplicity, the little one cup aluminium ones in the outdoor shops work well for camping, though you dont really get crema with a mocha pot.

I havent used them recently but i have had excellent service from these people and they had a good range when I last looked Has Bean Im not too keen on caffatiere coffee, always tastes washed out, I like a medium roast fruity bean nothing too dark :)

If you are interested in crema and a good coffee without as much bitterness as in the standard Bialetti, buy one of these:
http://www.bialetti.it/uk/catalogue/scheda.asp?id_cat=19&pag=1
http://www.hasbean.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=170
About as expensive as those fancy overpriced (stainlesssteel and special design to please the nincompoops) versions of the humble aluminium cafeteria. But you really get a very good crema and generally a much better brew. This machine is fantastic.
Believe me, I am crazy enough to mix and roast my own coffee and the brikka is the only cafetiere which I use for the pure enjoyment of coffee (not just for "medical reasons" in the morning)

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
oetzi said:
If you are interested in crema and a good coffee without as much bitterness as in the standard Bialetti, buy one of these:
http://www.bialetti.it/uk/catalogue/scheda.asp?id_cat=19&pag=1
http://www.hasbean.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=170
About as expensive as those fancy overpriced (stainlesssteel and special design to please the nincompoops) versions of the humble aluminium cafeteria. But you really get a very good crema and generally a much better brew. This machine is fantastic.
Believe me, I am crazy enough to mix and roast my own coffee and the brikka is the only cafetiere which I use for the pure enjoyment of coffee (not just for "medical reasons" in the morning)

Cheers Oetzi that looks perfect for me! I'm using a stainless one at the moment which replaced an aluminium one that had corroded quite badly, but it just doesnt produce coffee as good as my old aluminium mocha pot.

The crema on top of the cup in that Bialetti photo looks impressive, does it really work that well? Think I'll have to try one! I've not quite become obsessive enough to roast my own yet, but I hear its the only way to go for the ultimate flavour :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE