Eek!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Not exactly. My argument is against the idea that people are not allowed to kill a bear in self defence if they are in its territory.

so the principle objection isnt that I have sympathy with the bear, but that I have problems with killing animals for fun?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes there is a problem for some that are not raised in a gun culture/ sport hunting ethos to understand the motivations of those that are...................
It would be interesting to know if the demand for hunting permits & tabs is increasing, stable or decreasing in the USA.

Relative to sheer numbers? It's increasing. Relative to population growth? I'm not sure but I would hazard a guess that it's decreasing as population urbanization grows. There has also been a demographic shift as more women are now hunting than ever before. It can be difficult to measure accurately though since hunting licenses generally aren't required if hunting on your own land (unless you're hunting a migratory species)

In any case many species have gotten out of control; white tail deer are now in greater numbers than they were before Columbus landed; most Southern states have increased their limits drastically. When I was in my mid teens the limit was one per season; now it's 2 per day and we still aren't making a dent in the herds. Feral hogs and Eastern coyotes (in the Southeast at any rate) have increased so dramatically that ALL regulations have been removed and I believe that some Western states still pay a bounty for coyote.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Not exactly. My argument is against the idea that people are not allowed to kill a bear in self defence if they are in its territory.

I have never stated that either. But the fact that it was probably avoidable if 2 guys hadnt gone out to shoot some other animals makes me sad.

I am allowed that, right?

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
No, you misunderstood my intentions, I wasn't holding his hand & surely you mean challenged rather than criticised, this is after all a friendly open discussion forum.

Ok challenged is a better word , and i would have put a smiley face on the end of the holding hand line but i dont seem to have any

Jason

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Of course you are allowed that. This is only a discussion :)

Your answer takes me back to an earlier point about it being more acceptable if the people who killed the bear were simply walkers. In other words, if you and I (I don't hunt) were the two people who encountered the grizzly in that location would it have been OK for us to kill it in self-defence?

I have never stated that either. But the fact that it was probably avoidable if 2 guys hadnt gone out to shoot some other animals makes me sad.

I am allowed that, right?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I would add to that argument that I object to the idea that people should have no right to be there just because it's bear territory.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Of course you are allowed that. This is only a discussion :)

Your answer takes me back to an earlier point about it being more acceptable if the people who killed the bear were simply walkers. In other words, if you and I (I don't hunt) were the two people who encountered the grizzly in that location would it have been OK for us to kill it in self-defence?

not if we shouldve had more sense than to be strolling quietly through bear country no. Necessary, but definitely not OK.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
not if we shouldve had more sense than to be strolling quietly through bear country no. Necessary, but definitely not OK.

The point of making noise is to avoid startling a bear. Apparently (from the article) this bear was activelt stalking then though so it would have been irrelevant; he still would have attacked.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
if you and I (I don't hunt) were the two people who encountered the grizzly in that location would it have been OK for us to kill it in self-defence?

Haha....If you were unarmed hikers I'd like to know you would kill a bear that size!.you could always reinact the scene in The Edge.( R.I.P. Bart) I suppose (there should be a smiley there)..........of course we don't know for sure if this bear really did or was about to attack the guys...................nor if it would have attacked walkers.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
my god, weve taken over most of the planet and we begrudge them some greenspace?

So we're not allowed to go into wild places? We can only hunt/fish/camp/bushcraft/whatever in tame and settled woodland? Actually I couldn't tell from the photo and article exactly where they were (Alberta yes, but that's pretty vague) They might have been deep in the wilds are maybe only a few miles from town.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I couldn't tell from the photo and article exactly where they were (Alberta yes, but that's pretty vague) They might have been deep in the wilds are maybe only a few miles from town.

That's a good question, since they were hunting elk they were probably not far from a vehicule if they had planned on taking home the kill(s)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
It is not OK that the bear got shot. This thread reads more like an NRA forum than a bushcraft one. Im gobsmacked that people have no issue with this.

I think it's the nature of the thread, those that think like you either don't wish or dare to leave a comment or just see the photo then quickly leave...............there are those of course who couldn't care one way or the other (smiley here)

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I didn't say we were unarmed hikers :)

Haha....If you were unarmed hikers I'd like to know you would kill a bear that size!.you could always reinact the scene in The Edge.( R.I.P. Bart) I suppose (there should be a smiley there)..........of course we don't know for sure if this bear really did or was about to attack the guys...................nor if it would have attacked walkers.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
It is not OK that the bear got shot. This thread reads more like an NRA forum than a bushcraft one. Im gobsmacked that people have no issue with this.

Oh!!!!! the rattle is getting flung out the pram because people dont agree with you :)

Jason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE