Ebay's New Mad Fee's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Anyone experienced the new Ebay massive fee scam for seller's. I've just Sold something on there for £40.00 with £4.20 postage and the robdogs have Only sent £37.44 to my Bank as there Not dealing with PayPal anymore, I've had a CHAT? with them and put it this way be prepared for a RipOff.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I understand your annoyance, but where else could you advertise a £44 item worldwide for £6.76 (15%)?

I think of the fees as the cost of me renting space in their shop window; if I can find a cheaper way of getting my item to market I will but I'd have difficulty reaching such a big marketplace for less IMO.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I will buy on eBay but no longer sell. I like having Paypal in the middle which is no longer possible. They also get to hold onto your money for longer since ditching paypal.. The Fees also just keep creeping up and the bewildering array of selling options is a pain. Add to that their returns process being clunky and its a no from me.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent

Since when has anything got cheaper? According to this link sellers are slightly better off, but I cant believe it unless you take more care of your ebay and paypal account.

I've been had by Paypal twice now and will not use them unless absolutely no choice.

Personally i'm done with ebay, I don't really need to use it. I might look at Ebid and search out elsewhere.

The only way it will change from being shafted is to stop using it. Remember Play.com, Myspace and photobucket? everything can die.

Last edited:

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
There are certainly better ways to sell locally as a non-business. It just depends who you are and what you're trying to do.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51

Since when has anything got cheaper? According to this link sellers are slightly better off, but I cant believe it unless you take more care of your ebay and paypal account.

I've been had by Paypal twice now and will not use them unless absolutely no choice.

Personally i'm done with ebay, I don't really need to use it. I might look at Ebid and search out elsewhere.

The only way it will change from being shafted is to stop using it. Remember Play.com, Myspace and photobucket? everything can die.
I have an Ebid account. Tiny traffic there unfortunately. Okay if you can push customers toward your account but little passing trade. Would love to see it change.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I buy on eBay, I have never sold.
Amazon annoys me for some reason and buying from there is a last resort for me.
I'd like links to the other sites that folks have mentioned.

Sorry, taken it a bit Off Topic :blush:

Reactions: Silverclaws2

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Nothings changed? Ebay and Paypal ripped you off before, Ebay now just does it on their own...

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Anyone experienced the new Ebay massive fee scam for seller's. I've just Sold something on there for £40.00 with £4.20 postage and the robdogs have Only sent £37.44 to my Bank as there Not dealing with PayPal anymore, I've had a CHAT? with them and put it this way be prepared for a RipOff.
Ebay will kill itself eventually for riding as it does in it's position of being unchallenged it really is in danger of disappearing up it's own back passage.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
The one thing you shouldn't do on Ebay is charge postage separately because the Govt force Ebay to charge VAT on postage, you are much better putting the cost of postage in the price of the item, and offering free postage, like most of the commercial firms do .on the £4.20 quoted the VAT is 84p, if included in the sale price you would be charged 41p, and remember Ebay now charge VAT on their charges so the 10% net works out at about 12% gross, depending on what you are selling.(there are different rates charged)
Always watch for their offers, were you pay a flat fee for your sale item.Usually £1.

I have just bought an Item off Ebay, price was £1250, paid by Paypal, seller rang me as only £1208 went into his account, he wasn't aware of the Paypal charge, I pointed out that Ebay would be taking their slice as well, but he had posted it on an offer where he paid no fees for selling, which was a bit of relief to me.
One other point about selling on Ebay, if you put your contact details in your ad, they will charge you for selling it even if it doesn't sell, or if you are lucky they will give you a warning not to do it again.(personal experience)

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Here's a reality check for me for the first item sold with the new system.

£109.94 Listed price
£9.05 Shipping Free (paid by me) as I insured it for the full value on the first order.
(£4.89 + insured £4.16 By Hermes).

£14.37 Ebays cut Incl VAT Taken at point of sale.

£ 95.57 Total Owing from ebay.

£ 86.52 Total in my bank not including packaging costs, fuel for drop off, printing label etc.

So would have been cheaper if I hadn't insured it obvs.

But, Now I have to wait 2 days for the payment to transfer into my account, Plus if the bank decides to go slow could be longer. If the buyer isn't happy for some reason do I even get paid? I will lose the £9 shipping cost and other expenses, and what other terrors await? Hopefully none.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To Add to this I used an online calculator for the costs of the old system.

So same details as above:

£10.99 Ebay would of charged in fees
£3.49 PayPal charges (as long as it wouldn't cost to transfer to my bank)

£86.41 Total payout in bank not including packaging costs, fuel for drop off, printing label etc.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE