Dyeing a tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Has anyone tried dyeing a tent? I have a Aztec Summit 2 (see pic) which was bought a few years ago. Although a bit on the heavy side the tent is nuclear bomb proof and has survived some horrendous weather, its not broken so i don't intend to change is for the latest 23g shiney lightweight model! Specs for tent are here http://www.wedogardening.com/product_detail.php?uniqueID=582

The only problem is its colour (it only comes in yellow). Wasn't a problem in the past as I'd always camp in the middle of no-where on the top of a mountain but lately (must be old age and the purchase of a hammock) I'm drawn lower down the mountains to woods etc and the tent does stick out somewhat!

The fly sheet is made from 210T PU & silicon coated RS nylon, can this be coloured? I'd prefer green(ish) and don't mind if the colour isn't uniform as this will help blend the tent in to its surroundings. Thanks.
5005.jpg

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Thats a shame, looks like its the hammock for the woods and the tent for the mountains, unless i pile some bracken on it !!

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I know it kind of adds to the weight but why not take a tarp too and hang it low over the top of the tent. You can use the tarp for more living space and it'll help you blend in a bit more. I carry both tent and tarp in this way (my tent is dark blue).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Someone posted a link recently for a commercial dye * intended * to dye nylon. I'll try a search for the post.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I know it kind of adds to the weight but why not take a tarp too and hang it low over the top of the tent. You can use the tarp for more living space and it'll help you blend in a bit more. I carry both tent and tarp in this way (my tent is dark blue).

Yeah, that's exactly what I do. My tent is more of a grey colour, so not so bad as a bright yellow. But I secure the basha along the rear bottom edge of the tent, drape it over the top and then use a couple of basha poles to form a porch. That way I have soemthing to sit under and keep dry if it's raining rather than having to actually get inside the tent.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere

Mace242, short term, that sounds like a good idea.

Found it, it's iDyePoly (poor parrot ! )
The stuff is actually for polyester, but the claims are also for nylon.
This company sells it.
http://www.rainbowsilks.co.uk/Produc... 1&Code=JACIDP

the thread with the story of the blue washing machine though is here
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/sho...t=nylon;+dye

Best of luck with it; let us know how you get on if you decide to brave the tent in the washing machine ?

Toddy, thanks for the link. I'll see if I can find the removable ground sheet (for the porch) that came with the tent and has never been used so I can test the dye first! I'll also email the company for their opinion and if all goes well I'll have a go in a few months. Will post any results, good or bad along with some pics. Thanks.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
You don't need idye poly for nylon. Normal dylon will do it. The clue is in the name dy(e) (ny)lon!:p

I have used the normal dylon stuff on a rucksack cover and it worked very nicely. The stitching stays the original colour though.

D

Deleted member 7976

You don't need idye poly for nylon. Normal dylon will do it. The clue is in the name dy(e) (ny)lon!:p

I have used the normal dylon stuff on a rucksack cover and it worked very nicely. The stitching stays the original colour though.

Although I wait to be proven wrong, if the fly is silicon coated nylon, I doubt the dye will take.

I don't know how Aztec coat their tents. I know Hilleberg coat the individual fibes and then both sides once woven!

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
What about permenant marker pens? I have a tent with some writing on it that is still dark after 20 years of rain, and you don't need to colour the whole tent, just break up the shape.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
normal car paint sprays would work but it would probably be easier to get some lightweight fabric and make a cover for it. or even buy a green tent :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE