Duluth packs...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yerbache

Forager
Nov 30, 2010
Bridport
Was wondering what the deal was with Duluth packs...

I know RM recommended them in his earliest(?) book and I have a bit of a love affair with stuff made of canvas...but the price of them on the website is PHENOMENAL!!!:yikes:

Are they worth it, and if so, why??

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think they're worth it if you're into the traditional look because they'll probably outlive their owner. I can see the attraction for canoeing packs but for carrying any distance I'd rather use a modern pack with a decent back system and padding where it's needed.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
theres plenty of great packs out there in canvas and leather norwegian forces pack for starter still to be had in new or nearly new condition

yerbache

Forager
Nov 30, 2010
Bridport
Yeh, I love the idea of them but at that price? Where might I find the Norwegian pack....and if Wayland is reading this, what is the pack you're using in the pics on your website....I love it! :35:
:eek:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I have a duluth guide pack that I use for a day bag. I love it and it is very comfortable . I am considering trying to get hold of a Rambler for when I want a bit more kit but will not be needing a full size pack. However I would not use a canvas bag for long trips where I need a full size pack a as shewie said modern ones are better when carrying a full load.

But I guess if you know more you need to carry less

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have the explorer by rugged river, that is a huge pack, and i love it, but they are(or were, no longer trading)expensive, but to me worth it.

That Norwegian pack looks a good buy.

Rob

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
....and if Wayland is reading this, what is the pack you're using in the pics on your website....I love it! :35:
:eek:

If you mean the German Army Mountain pack his write up and where to get it from is here

Got to admit I am tempted to get one, along with a thousand and one other bits and pieces :rolleyes:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Or make your own copy. It's not as if it is complex to sew...

A nice set of plans may be viewed here...

http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/equipment/green_bar_bill_pack.htm

I have a Duluth pack that I purchased direct from Duluth before they were readily available in the UK, it was a very expensive process, especially once the tax man and the post office had added their cut. It is a very well made bag, it will probably outlive me, I would never use it for any kind of distance walking but it does look good in the canoe.

I think the Frost River packs look better, especially the Nessmuk pack, which I try to avoid looking at as I know I'd buy one.

:)

Last edited:

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I think the Frost River packs look better, especially the Nessmuk pack, which I try to avoid looking at as I know I'd buy one.

:)

I think they look better too. My Frost River Nessmuk pack just arrive this week and I'm very happy with it, it's a nice size for a good day hike with some kit.

The Bushcraft pack that they're developing with BushcraftUSA looks fantastic and is good value compared to the duluth version. The Frost River looks a better design as well. I think I might have one when it's ready, which should be any day now.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
How much did you par with taxes all in, if you don't mind me asking?

I've lost track of the exact total lol

Shipping was 40 dollars.

Tax and parcelforce charges came to £45.

So all in all about the same as the Duluth Guide Pack if you ordered from Tamarack. However Duluth have got a massive waiting list at th emoment and you'd be luccky to get a pack off them in less than two months. I got fantastic customer service from Chris Benson the owner of Frost River. All emails were answered very quickly and I was kept up to date with the order.

The place has a very personal feel about it. There are links to photos of the workshop on Bushcraft USA. My Thank You email is currently on the notice board on the shop floor :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Duluth packs are surprisingly comfortable... I had one a while back along with the bed roll and aside from feeling very nostalgoc, they were hard wearing, well thought out and did exactly what they were designed to. The build quality is very very good and even with no padding on the straps (I had the Rambler pack) it was very comfortable for long walks, I just had to pack with lots of thought for where things were inside the pack.

I now have a Frost river nessmuk pack and shell case and love 'em to bits also... seems there is something in the water in MN that makes people manufacture brilliant luggage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE