Drying soaked outdoor gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
El Nino is supposed to give us the warmest (and wettest(?) winter in the last 18 years. We shall see.
Like everywhere else, our cold snow brushes off like sugar, especially after it has morphed for a few days.

Early and late winters here mean wet snow and wet clothes. I spread out the wet clothes, hangers, racks,
whatever I can find. 12" fan running on low speed for a breeze. Pull the liners out of my snow boots.
Otherwise, repeated stuffings with crumpled newspaper will dry the insides of boots.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
A lot of houses had a kitchen pully which was great for drying laundry and would often be pressed into service to hang the jelly bag come berry season. :eek:

traditional-kitchen-maid-clothes-airer_MED.jpg

They're not cheap these days though you can sometimes get them 2nd hand if you're quick. This is one of the places I've seen them online. LINK hangs to the ceiling and moves up and down via a pully system.

Yeah, that^.

We have one of those (you need high ceilings for them) and its brilliant. Since we got it we got rid of the tumble drier.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The most important thing to do with damp air is to get rid of it!

You need good ventilation.

There are more or less two kinds of dehumidifier.
For the same drying capacity the one Mary has (hot rocks type) is a bit more expensive than the one that works like a refrigerator (heat pump type) but it will work better at low temperatures and low humidities. It might well be more reliable too.
Some cheap heat-pump type dehumidifiers are very unreliable.
Be aware that dehumidifier sales people are no different from sleeping bag and rucksack sales people. In other words they're lying barstewards. A small, cheap, heat-pump type dehumidifier might be almost useless in a large, cold room.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Can't you rig a tarp off the side of your hut to allow the drip dry to happen then bring it in to get the damp out of it? Pro hunter will dry itself through hanging wether inside or out! Expensive to leave hanging outside though!

I can't be positive, but I don't think Bowlander lives in a hut. :rolleyes:

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I have a similar issue through the winter months with wet kit but have a slight advantage with a drying room at work!
At home, wet clothing gets treated dependant on material. Waterproofs get hung outside if it's dry or in the washer to spin off the worst and then hung in the back porch. Boots get washed off and stuffed full of newspaper (insoles out). Clothing gets put onto clothes horses and hung in front of the fire or overnight with the dehumidifier depending. I've found this works well and ready for use the following day. Sometimes a tad damp but body heat and movement normally gets rid.
When I've come back from days out or extended camps, the backyard looks like a camp shop with kit everywhere!!
The golden rule that sticks with me:
'Look after your kit and your kit looks after you!'.
Tbh, sorting my kit out is more important than getting myself in a shower when I get home.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE