Drying green wood for fire by friction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 8, 2006
Plymouth
I was wondering if it was possible to dry green wood in an oven or such like enough to use for friction fire wood, or does it have to be dead wood, and what reasons for it. its just I can,t find dead wood around enough.

thanks
Adrian

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
just make up you sets and stick them in the airing cupboard at home that's how I got my first set to work :)

cheers Russ

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you dry the wood in an oven be prepared for it splitting unless you have it on very low for a few days.

Best way as Russ says make up a set then put it in your airing cupboard or alternatively keep it in your car and it'll soon dry out :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you used the oven at around 70*c with the door propped open I reckon it would work, a bit like dehydrating food. You're trying to take the moisture out with actually cooking it, saying that I expect a cooked bow drill would work just fine too.

It kind of defeats the object but I've seen folk dry green wood over the fire for practising bow drills.

I've dried plenty of wood out in my half shed/half greenhouse, it gets really hot in there during summer so I've dried out buddleia and elder in just a couple of days.

Aug 8, 2006
Plymouth
the greenhouse and car ideas are perfect as I can forget about them, also I don,t risk sap coming out into the oven

my wife would kill me.

thanks

Adrian

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
The car works a treat if you are in a rush. Pop the bits on the heater vents of the windscreen.
You might need to train hand drills though, and oversize the bow drill spindles so you can re-straighten.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE