Dry bags with a valve.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Plu do the litre sizes of drybags count the roll or not ? I think on a 10 litre bag you would roll away about half, so I would have to order a bigger one top achieve 10 litre

That's a good question.
I would expect that the capacity is after the roll. Of course, you can roll it quite a few times to take up the empty space, but I would assume that the capacity is after the minimum number of rolls (2 or 3) to maintain watertightness.
That said, I find that dry bags do let in air. So even if you do purge them they'll only let in more air after a short while - through the stitch lines, presumably? That said, the only dry bags I've ever bought are those Exped ones, so it could be that a top end dry bag doesn't let air back in.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
I'm trying an experiment with £land vacuum storage bags and results so far are encouraging.
sc1.jpg

The sleeping bag is a Microlite 1400, typically 22 x 40cm in it's normal compression bag.
Backpack is cheap 50Litre '3 day tactical' style with a main compartment like the drawer of a bedside cabinet.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
I've never understoof vacuum sealed bags. Sure it's handy to store something, but fill up your pack, and open it up on a campsite, and you'll have hell getting everything back in. Not to mention the damage to the insulation depending on what you're vacuum sealing.

Atleast i don't think many people take vacuum cleaners with them when camping :p. Ofcource it might be fine if you're just next to your car instead of actually going out and doing an overnighter where you have to walk any distance.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
That's a good question.
I would expect that the capacity is after the roll. Of course, you can roll it quite a few times to take up the empty space, but I would assume that the capacity is after the minimum number of rolls (2 or 3) to maintain watertightness.
That said, I find that dry bags do let in air. So even if you do purge them they'll only let in more air after a short while - through the stitch lines, presumably? That said, the only dry bags I've ever bought are those Exped ones, so it could be that a top end dry bag doesn't let air back in.

Thanks for that.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've never understoof vacuum sealed bags. Sure it's handy to store something, but fill up your pack, and open it up on a campsite, and you'll have hell getting everything back in. Not to mention the damage to the insulation depending on what you're vacuum sealing.

Atleast i don't think many people take vacuum cleaners with them when camping :p. Ofcource it might be fine if you're just next to your car instead of actually going out and doing an overnighter where you have to walk any distance.

I thought you'd use it by sitting on the bag to squeeze as much air out and seal it rather than pump or suck the air out?

I've a few dry bags but they are a heavy duty plastic with welded seams and quite large [40 litres IIRC] they do not have valves though. At the end of the day I more often just line my bag with a bin liner.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader

I'll have to take your word about what car users do as it's a piece of kit I've never owned. :lmao:
Lung power is more than sufficient plus there's a one way valve so a roll & squeeze technique works. In this case compression is about the same as its regular stuff bag but the resulting shape suits the new pack better.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
I can understand that it works as a compression sack, i just don't see how you'll ever get it to fit again if your pack is already a bit tight ;).
I've moved away from most compression sacks though, other than for winter gear if i really need the space. Usually works better to just use a stuffsack and loosly pack your bag. The gear (clothes, sleeping bag) will mold to your pack better leaving less dead space.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE