Dried Reindeer moss

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ok, this is another strange one and not strictly bushy except in miniature but please bare with me.

one thing I have always been remarkable poor at is tree identification. It's some sort of mental block as I've ( and some dear, helpful and eventually frustrated people) put a lot of effort into trying to learn to tree spot but apart from the really obvious ones remain hopeless without a book in hand . Anyways I've found if I make a model of something it sticks so since all three sons are into 28 mm wargames I thought I'd do a bunch of trees to go on their gaming table.

I intend to go true scale so these are going to be quite large, say a foot high, modelling clay on wire armatures with the shape and texture of the trunk etc copied from trees I photographed or from reference books. Due to the scale apart from the colour I won't be able to do much about how the leaves of each species look so will be using reindeer moss with suitable coloured flock ( I will dye sawdust myself if required to get the right colours ) to get the best effect I can. My wood battering will make more than enough sawdust, indeed I've bagged up enough already as I use it for poking stuff like clay pipes, but need a source of cheap, really cheap reindeer moss.

What set me off on this project again was aquiring from a charity shop for £1.99 a half kg box of brown coloured reindeer moss and the wife buying a large amount of Daz modelling lay for her own projects. Model shops charge a obscene price for it and its not exactly cheap at florists so can anyone advise me on the absolute cheapest way to get a kg or 2of the stuff? Bleached or light green would be best but I can work with just about anything!

i said it was a strange one !

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE