down for a sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigandy

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
horwich lancashire
Hi guys and gals,
I am looking for any information on where to buy down how much down and how to pack it!I have just bought a sleeping bag (cheap one) big enough to fit me! but it packs down well to the size of a suitcase. so the idea is to open it up take out the man made insulator and replace with down,so it should pack to a smaller size.
Does this sound reasonable? as i cant find a down one big enough to fit.it's not really an option.In advance thanks BigAndy.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
From what little I know of the subject,
it can be bought from the States, but is expensive and a pig to handle when you open the vacuum packed package.

an alternative is to buy down filled duvets or pillows and re-engineer them into your project sleeping bag (its the method that I'm thinking of using to convert a hammock underquilt to down insulation when I can afford it).

ATB

Ogri the trog

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Just a thought, but the Army down bags are a pretty decent size - if you get the large. And even if they don't fit, they are pretty cheap and you could always use the down from them?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... I have just bought a sleeping bag (cheap one) big enough to fit me! but it packs down well to the size of a suitcase. so the idea is to open it up take out the man made insulator and replace with down,so it should pack to a smaller size.
Does this sound reasonable?

No. The down will escape, big time. You need a very different fabric to contain down from what will contain most man-made fibre fillings. If you can put something like down-filled cushions in it (assuming they are already down proof) that might be OK. I think I'd be thinking about an alternative man-made filling or perhaps a hydraulic stuff sack. :)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Getting hold of down isn't easy or very cheap as far as I know. I've looked briefly into it and when i say briefly I mean sent a few days looking at various sites. There are a few suppliers kicking about, but most seem to be USA or Canada based - they will post but it may cost you. As for a more local supplier, good luck, I've tried a few suppliers in the EU, and had no luck at all as a private buyer.

Good luck in your search, should you find a source, be sure to let us know who it is!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
You can buy good down from stormcrow at Hammockgear.com for 5$ an ounce, or from Ed spear on HF.
Extremtextil in germany will ship high quality down for not much postage.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
A lot of down is mostly feather.

Those 58 pattern bags, for example.

I know a place you may buy genuine eider down pillows but you would wince bigtime at the price

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I know a place you may buy genuine eider down pillows but you would wince bigtime at the price

Wince?! I nearly broke my jaw on the keyboard!
I thought I'd spent a lot on down but that puts it into perspective.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Andy,why not buy a down sleeping bag and alter it.If you cut off the hood and then open it out so that it covers you and then sew in some material onto the bottom of the bag this may work.It will be the same as a down quilt with a footbox.The insulation that is underneath you is flattened anyway so doesn't provide much in the way of insulation anyway have a look at this.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...season_down_quilt__backless_sleeping_bag.html

bigandy

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
horwich lancashire
Andy,why not buy a down sleeping bag and alter it.If you cut off the hood and then open it out so that it covers you and then sew in some material onto the bottom of the bag this may work.It will be the same as a down quilt with a footbox.The insulation that is underneath you is flattened anyway so doesn't provide much in the way of insulation anyway have a look at this.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...season_down_quilt__backless_sleeping_bag.html
as i don't get out more than a couple of times a year, was only lookig at a cheap alternative. had that idea i use a military arctic bag in winter just wanted somrthing a little less bulky

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
:yikes:Those are expensive aren't they:yikes:
How about doing the same with a synthetic bag just cut it to the size you need.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE