Dovecotes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
The numbers are going down - hence the amber status. I appreciate that in some localities numbers may be on the rise but that isn't so nationally (according to the published figures anyway). We certainly have more around here than we used to, and we are nowhere near any arable crop area.

However, compare the 5 million pairs of pigeon to the 57 million game birds released on to farmland every year that do a great deal of environmental damage.
I think gamebirds cause a lot damage aswell.

Reactions: nigelp

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
to the 57 million game birds released on to farmland every year
:eek: now that is a lot. Haven't done much hunting in the last few years but wouldn't it be easier just to kill them neatly instead of being shot by dubious ability.

Reactions: Toddy

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
:eek: now that is a lot. Haven't done much hunting in the last few years but wouldn't it be easier just to kill them neatly instead of being shot by dubious ability.
Wild game should be flying away from you not at you like on driven shoots it’s a joke lol.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
....I'm allergic to fish :rolleyes:

Seriously, you obviously don't want my diet :)

I know this though, farming works. Agricultural and pastoral communites survive better than hunter gatherer ones. The population explosion is a very clear illustration of that.

At a fundamental level, well worked fully integrated smallholdings provide well for their residents. They work for their food though, but they have food, they have healthy variety, and they have enough to rear children, feed the elderly, and a bit left over for barter among like minded folks.

That's not meant as a put down for any of the hunters, etc., it's good food. It's just not food for me.

I forage all year long, I look forward to, and thoroughly enjoy the sheer variety in season of what we can find. Going walkabout with someone who knows what they're looking at and for, and who knows their patch, is a brilliant excuse for a day out.
Even restricted as I am just now with RA, I still forage and gather nearby, and when it's something worth having I happily make sure it grows in my garden.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
....I'm allergic to fish :rolleyes:

Seriously, you obviously don't want my diet :)

I know this though, farming works. Agricultural and pastoral communites survive better than hunter gatherer ones. The population explosion is a very clear illustration of that.

At a fundamental level, well worked fully integrated smallholdings provide well for their residents. They work for their food though, but they have food, they have healthy variety, and they have enough to rear children, feed the elderly, and a bit left over for barter among like minded folks.

That's not meant as a put down for any of the hunters, etc., it's good food. It's just not food for me.

I forage all year long, I look forward to, and thoroughly enjoy the sheer variety in season of what we can find. Going walkabout with someone who knows what they're looking at and for, and who knows their patch, is a brilliant excuse for a day out.
Even restricted as I am just now with RA, I still forage and gather nearby, and when it's something worth having I happily make sure it grows in my garden.
What do u farm? I was on a allotment waiting list for over 2yrs but the moved out the area iff I stayed might got a patch.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's the rub; acquiring land.
Guerilla gardening makes use of patches that otherwise would be overlooked.
You can grow a lot of veg in containers....spuds crop well in them, so do most root veg.
Grain needs sun though, but it's do-able.

If you look at the amount of work that folks like BR put into their gardens though.

I think in our overcrowded islands it's always going to be an issue.
I know of a commune up the valley that was set up with great intentions of being self sufficient, but to quote one past resident, it was like herding cats trying to get hippies organised enough to plough, plant and harvest when it came to anything that needed persistent work. Great on the ideas, but poor in application and diligence.
Shame really because the land is still there, just not being properly used.

M

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE