Dovecotes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Given the provisions of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 Doves may not be killed for any reason nor pigeons for food (although they may be eaten if killed for a lawful reason).

Given that the provision of the 2022 General Licence as applied to wood pigeon only allows killing to protect foodstuffs, it seems unlikely that housing them, encouraging them to breed and then killing them would be permitted

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I didn't know that. There you go, we learn something new every day. I didn't know that it wasn't legal to farm them.

I rather thought that rearing and keeping pigeons was like keeping hens or rabbits. Doocot's were such a common feature of big houses, and ferme toons (think big farm steadings with multi generational families) of the past up here because pigeons will breed right through the year so long as they have sufficient food. Meat and eggs in one tidy building kind of thing.

I know that in Scotland they are 'pest birds' and can be killed because they are considered a health hazard, etc.,
For instance....

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Given the provisions of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 Doves may not be killed for any reason nor pigeons for food (although they may be eaten if killed for a lawful reason).

Given that the provision of the 2022 General Licence as applied to wood pigeon only allows killing to protect foodstuffs, it seems unlikely that housing them, encouraging them to breed and then killing them would be permitted

White domestic doves are not wild though so I’d assume it would be legal it’s something I’m going to do my homework on thankyou.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I didn't know that. There you go, we learn something new every day. I didn't know that it wasn't legal to farm them.

I rather thought that rearing and keeping pigeons was like keeping hens or rabbits. Doocot's were such a common feature of big houses, and ferme toons (think big farm steadings with multi generational families) of the past up here because pigeons will breed right through the year so long as they have sufficient food. Meat and eggs in one tidy building kind of thing.

I know that in Scotland they are 'pest birds' and can be killed because they are considered a health hazard, etc.,
For instance....

Iv read 1 pair can provide 12 squab a year so 4 pairs is roughly 1 squab a week that’s 1 tiny box it’s pretty good yield off meat iff it’s permissable.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

For instance....

That's not quite the full story - you can only shoot Woodpigeon in Scotland under Gereal Licence GL02 - which does not cover 'a health hazard'.

<
GL02 = for the prevention of serious damage to livestock, foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables and fruit
>

As for other general licences you must have tried other deterrents before killing. You must also be able to define and prove 'serious damage'.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
But if they're foraging on a local farmer's land, they become the 'pest'.
If you're cropping them, they you ought to feed them.

One way and t'other there are a lot of pigeons shot around these parts.
They're called 'flying rats' and their behaviour is as destructive of crops, despite what the animal activists would like folks to believe.

I know that two woodpigeons stripped one of my blackcurrant bushes bare in a day. It was the one bush that I hadn't netted in time. Imagine that multiplied up on one of the fruit farms further up the valley where they have thousands of bushes, and a pigeon problem.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield

They're called 'flying rats' and their behaviour is as destructive of crops, despite what the animal activists would like folks to believe.

I know that two woodpigeons stripped one of my blackcurrant bushes bare in a day. It was the one bush that I hadn't netted in time. Imagine that multiplied up on one of the fruit farms further up the valley where they have thousands of bushes, and a pigeon problem.
Wood pigeons are not flying rats at all it’s one off the finest game you can eat comparable to red grouse.The fact farms help the woodpigions numbers is a blessing in disguise.

Reactions: nigelp

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
If they are kept as wild birds as has been suggested you wouldn't be able to cull for meat. If farmed then they may need to be kept under cover now due to bird flu restrictions. There's also other diseases to be aware of.

I'd also wonder about predation, our woods are full of tawny owls and they seem to be currently picking off the pigeon population. A tame dove would be easy prey.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I’m reminded of the old river cottage episode where Hugh uses an air rifle on some inter bred feral pigeons on his landlords estate. I would assume this is no longer possible under the new licensing scheme or would they be considered a pest for inter breeding?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

LOL, just because I'm pointing out the detail of shooting law doesn't make me an 'Animal Activist' :)

Even Chris Packham wasn't saying you can't shoot farm pests (he was badly misquoted in the media); he was pointing out that people were not shooting in accordance with the general licences and were therefor breaking the law. There's no point having laws that are not enforced.

Believe it or not, woodpigeon are on the amber conservation list in the UK despite there being over 5 million breeding pairs!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
LOL, just because I'm pointing out the detail of shooting law doesn't make me an 'Animal Activist' :)

Even Chris Packham wasn't saying you can't shoot farm pests (he was badly misquoted in the media); he was pointing out that people were not shooting in accordance with the general licences and were therefor breaking the law. There's no point having laws that are not enforced.

Believe it or not, woodpigeon are on the amber conservation list in the UK despite there being over 5 million breeding pairs!!

Sorry @Broch that was not my intent to dismiss you as such.

Generally I'm very agin any form of animal cruelty, but I am very practical, and pigeons, and other bird and mammals, are very much pests to our agriculture. Their numbers have soared because of agriculture, and since we've taken out the predators that would have kept their numbers in check, it's up to us to keep them in check instead.
I think it's just part of farming/growing food.

I can't see how 5million breeding pairs gets a flying rat on a list like that though.
Someone's going, "Ah, but they're beautiful", well yes, but so are mice :rolleyes:

M

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
If they are kept as wild birds as has been suggested you wouldn't be able to cull for meat. If farmed then they may need to be kept under cover now due to bird flu restrictions. There's also other diseases to be aware of.

I'd also wonder about predation, our woods are full of tawny owls and they seem to be currently picking off the pigeon population. A tame dove would be easy prey.
The system doesn’t make any form off alternative lifestyle easy does it .

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield

The doves come home to rest when tawnys are just waking up .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wood pigeons are not flying rats at all it’s one off the finest game you can eat comparable to red grouse.The fact farms help the woodpigions numbers is a blessing in disguise.

You're not the farmer losing expensive seed to the blighters. Their numbers have soared simply because they predate farm crops.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Sorry @Broch that was not my intent to dismiss you as such.

Generally I'm very agin any form of animal cruelty, but I am very practical, and pigeons, and other bird and mammals, are very much pests to our agriculture. Their numbers have soared because of agriculture, and since we've taken out the predators that would have kept their numbers in check, it's up to us to keep them in check instead.
I think it's just part of farming/growing food.

I can't see how 5million breeding pairs gets a flying rat on a list like that though.
Someone's going, "Ah, but they're beautiful", well yes, but so are mice :rolleyes:

M
Beautifull to eat

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

M

The numbers are going down - hence the amber status. I appreciate that in some localities numbers may be on the rise but that isn't so nationally (according to the published figures anyway). We certainly have more around here than we used to, and we are nowhere near any arable crop area.

However, compare the 5 million pairs of pigeon to the 57 million game birds released on to farmland every year that do a great deal of environmental damage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE