Don't put all your scouts in one basket...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
...well..."coracle"...
Too nice an evening to be sensible (not that I ever reach the illusionary heights of sensibility :rolleyes:)...so cobbled together a coracle out of hazel, rope and an old tarp, and then down to the river to mess about...

me first...well, had to make sure it was safe ;)
photo7.jpg

relieved to get across safe and dry...
photo2.jpg

Having reluctantly given up my new toy, the youngsters boarded and soon mayhem reigned
photo12.jpg

Not a dry scout in the hut...boy was I popular with the parents that turn up in their fancy cars...they never learn :yikes:

Now what can I do next week...

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Just a quick point, you might want to get hold of some life jackets for the next time. I know some are going to resent my health and safety nagging, but having been a lifeguard I've seen the aftermath when things go wrong and would hate for you to have that on your conscience. Having said that, looks great fun.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Looks like you had fun do have any pictures of making it.

We have done it with plastic water pipe held together with duck tape and damp proof membrane

looknohands.jpg

this is the only shot I have of the frames

caged.jpg

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Just a quick point, you might want to get hold of some life jackets for the next time. I know some are going to resent my health and safety nagging, but having been a lifeguard I've seen the aftermath when things go wrong and would hate for you to have that on your conscience. Having said that, looks great fun.

Dont panic Jack, the water is waist deep at that point...and they all jump in and swim at every opportunity...this spot is a favourite with the kids, who swim it all the time...its safe as long as you keep your mouth closed...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Looks like you had fun do have any pictures of making it.

Didn't take any pics when making it, but used 8ft hazel wands stuck into the ground and bent over to form a cage. Wove more wands around the rim and around the mid section. Then covered with tarp. Took about 3/4 hour to make...

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Dont panic Jack, the water is waist deep at that point...and they all jump in and swim at every opportunity...this spot is a favourite with the kids, who swim it all the time...its safe as long as you keep your mouth closed...

I will graciously wind my neck in :) I would just hate for something to happen that could have been avoided. I've seen too many people tombstoning off a pier never walk again, some sadly worse off. But I take your point about the depth etc. If I'd known the scouts did that sort of thing when I was younger, I might have joined. Is it too late to join at 36?

Hangman

Tenderfoot
jackcbr, at the risk of going off-topic are in the H&S industry by any chance? Just wondering as it's a string in bow and the looks I get when I tell people that I go into the woods with knives and axes and camp up - 'But you're elf 'n' safety aren't you - isn't that dangerous?'

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
If I'd known the scouts did that sort of thing when I was younger, I might have joined. Is it too late to join at 36?

do what i do, just pretend to be a grown up and they'll you join as a leader. :lmao:

looks like a most excellent scouty evening.

cheers, and.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
jackcbr, at the risk of going off-topic are in the H&S industry by any chance? Just wondering as it's a string in bow and the looks I get when I tell people that I go into the woods with knives and axes and camp up - 'But you're elf 'n' safety aren't you - isn't that dangerous?'

No, not H&S, but I was a lifeguard and attended a few nasty incidentents of broken necks and fatals from people jumping off piers and the like. So have seen how devastating a seeming simple accident can be. Also very much aware of the dangers of inland waters too. Cold, currents, underwater obstructions, weed entanglement.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Nice one Stovie, its good to see kids having fun. And its good to see fore thought, common sence, dynamic risk asessing, get up and go and go out and do it in the scouts! Rather than the namby pamby cant do this cant do that attitude thats rapidly creeping in, when that eats into it you may as well throw in your woggle eh ;)

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall

Well, its not just "Health and Safety" rules, its Scouting's own rules that require lifeguards and buoyancy aids for any water activities in water deeper than waist depth.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE