Donal MacIntyre with tribe from Papua New Guinea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
MacIntyre: Edge of Existence Tuesday 29 May - TONIGHT
8:00pm - 9:00pm
VIDEO Plus+: 4920967
Five
1/4 - Papua New Guinea
Screening this after Donal MacIntyre's recent series in which he brought some Papua
New Guineans to England is a bit daft. We already know that the Insect tribe - while
scary-looking when daubed with war paint and brandishing spears - are delightful, gentle
people, so his attempt to inject drama into his visit to their remote village falls flat on its
face. And the faux-peril is unnecessary because learning about their lifestyle and
traditions is totally engrossing. The film shows MacIntyre as he mucks in with the
community, joining the hunt for crocodiles and wild pigs, as well as trying to fashion a
bowl from clay, and he thoroughly enjoys himself in the process (if the scene of him and
tribesman James giggling like schoolboys over a giant cockroach is anything to go by).
Perhaps there'll be real danger in the coming weeks, when MacIntyre visits other
communities who survive in inhospitable places such as the Sahara and Nicaragua.
RT reviewer - Jane Rackham

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
It was pretty good - I think Springwatch would have been the better choice though. I couldn't record springwatch (SHMBO was recording Eastenders :() and at the end of MacIntyre I kind of wished I'd watched SW.

Also the whole program left me kind of sad. That these peoples who have been the same for millenia are slowly becomming like us, and wanting to be, is a little depressing. It occured to me that perhaps on day there will be no people left that can remember the skills they have is sad.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I enjoyed it though it did make me think that I've not seen many programmes
of this nature where a woman is the main presenter. They might be out there
in TV-land but I've not seen them.

Given that the women, in last night's programme, were not allowed to stand
while paddling a boat (as it was considered improper) I wondered how "Donna
MacIntyre" might have fared - ie. if the presenter had been female and had to
interact to the same extent with her hosts.

Jo

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
The follow up series preceeded this one.He brought 6 members of the tribe to his gaf in London village.The Chief went up in the London eye and asked where our 'spirit house' was. Mcantyre pointed out St Pauls,which was dwarfed by Banking buildings surrounding it.The Chief pointed out that our society must be in trouble if money was worshipped more than our Gods.:27:

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
The Chief went up in the London eye and asked where our 'spirit house' was. Mcantyre pointed out St Pauls,which was dwarfed by Banking buildings surrounding it.The Chief pointed out that our society must be in trouble if money was worshipped more than our Gods.:27:

The fun thing is that the chief is right IMHO...

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Yes he's certainly right. Our society is in trouble and "the love of money is the root of all evil."

Sounds like he has more wisdom in his simplicity than our sophisticated society.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE